Aero mirror upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have a 1981 Malibu with the original single outside chrome mirror on the driver's door. I'd like to upgrade to the later Monte "aero" style outside mirrors. I know that the '86 & '87 El Caminos used this style mirror, and that they mount further forward and higher on the side of the door. Does anyone here know if the mirror gasket (black plastic piece that goes between the mirror and the door) is specific to the Malibu/El Camino style door, or is it the same as the gasket for a Monte Carlo door? Also, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a mounting template for these mirrors, in order to position them properly on the doors? Thanks in advance for your help.

varns1985442

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
SD
I was told the 85 and older monte mirrors are mounted farther back. But the sport mirros could be mounted anywhere you need. The gaskets come off with the mirrors.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your quick response. I know that the gaskets come off with the mirrors. What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the mirror gaskets are the same between the Monte and the Malibu, or if there is a difference in the contour of the outer door skin between the Monte and the Malibu, which would require a different mirror gasket. I'd also like to know if there is a mounting template for those mirrors, or if you just have to guess where they'll fit best.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You'll need the later generation El Camino gaskets to use on your Malibu. They have more of a "V" cut-out in them to fit the contour of upper body lines.
The Monte Carlo gaskets are flatter to mount on a flatter surface. There's no mounting template that I'm aware of.. You would use the proper gaskets, remove the studs from the mirrors, have someone hold them in the position of your choice.
Make sure that they're perpendicular with the ground. Mark the gasket outline onto the body with a pencil or fine Sharpee.
Drill the holes for mounting and for the remote cable, and that's about all there is to it. You may also want to add a piece of sheet metal inside the door to help reinforce the mirror. It's pretty straight forward.

I had a set of '86 Monte Carlo mirrors and gaskets that I decided not to use.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
They have the proper gasket on Lauren engineering site for like $15
Mine are 87 Monte Carlo mirrors, I used the gaskets for that car.
I ordered the parts when I worked at a GM dealer back then.
They also have a reinforcement plate that goes inside the door. You will have to fill in the holes from the other mirrors.
Yes they are mounted further forward and higher then the original mirror.
There many car's on here that just hang them in the old holes.
They look like sh*t that way. They droop and don't look right.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
TC,
I couldn't agree with you more. I notice many guys "upgrade" to these mirrors but end up mounting them crooked. and as you said, it looks like sh*t.
Thanks for showing a good example. :wink:

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the help guys. TC, thanks for posting the photo. This has been a big help, that's the info I am looking for. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor