aftermarket carb swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Flyer, if you decide to keep the CCC setup, I ordered a rebuilt and re jetted E4ME by Mountain Man Carb when my stock one needed a rebuild. It looked and worked great right out of the box. And I still run all factory emissions equipment too. Plus the price was right. Only minor tuning adjustments were necessary. I started a thread about it somewhere on here.
I put my stock one in a box on the shelf. Hopefully to be rebuit by me once I build up the courage.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Yeah carb rebuilds can be tricky, take lots of pictures during disassembly, put them into labeled zip lock bags and above all take your time. Best to have a manual for that perticular brand as well.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I always strive to keep the original carb and rebuild it myself. After all, it's the only one that is absolutely correct for that particular motor. While it is possible to adapt something else, why bang yourself over the head? Especially with a totally stock motor, but of course if the motor is modified, you are on your own.....

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Since all posts were not modified- I deleted the personal attacks. Let's keep it civilized folks :) If you don't have anything nice to say....you know the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Back to the orig post. Yes you can make an aftermarket carb work. It will however take some time to get adaptor brackets all set up. In my case I went with the holley carb that came with the motor. Spent many hours getting the kickdown, TV Cable, AC Idle brackets all lined up ( ac solenoid was custom ) and functioning ( never did get the cruise sorted out ). And I could never figure out a way to get my original aircleaner to fit on the holley and clear the hood ( bugged me running an open element when the rest of the motor looked stock). In the end I bough a friends Edelbrock 1902 carb on when he went EFI. All stock brackets from the CCC Carb I kept which included the AC Selenoid, kickdown and Cruise all bolted back in place and my stock aircleaner fits back on just as it should.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always strive to keep the original carb and rebuild it myself. After all, it's the only one that is absolutely correct for that particular motor. While it is possible to adapt something else, why bang yourself over the head? Especially with a totally stock motor, but of course if the motor is modified, you are on your own.....

what is the title of that quadrajet book you've mentioned a few times?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
There's a few good ones but I prefer the Doug Roe book- Rochester Carburetors.
9780895863010_p0_v1_s114x166_zpsw9jokthy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor