Aluminum parts - where to get em, used or aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hey all, I did a quick search here on the forum and on Google. Didn't find much.

Other than finding a donor car (not an option, forget it lol), anyone know the best place to find aluminum parts? I know as far as wheels, intake, heads, etc, I could buy from any auto shop or store. Im talking about tailgates, hoods, bumpers (not bumper supports, I heard the stock steel ones are better for a daily because they give way for a small impact?), doors, driveshaft, full aluminum core support (I saw an aluminum tubular one. Not sure if that would be good for a daily either), etc.

Part two of this question lol; how to identify metals? Correct me if I'm wrong -> Steel is magnetic, stainless is not, and aluminum is so barely magnetic that it is negligible? I know there are outlier cases where in some cases steel wont be magnetic blah blah blah, just forget those. I'm talking in general. Thanks.

My question is why you want all the aluminum parts for ?? Aluminum isn't magnetic.
Because its lighter than steel and heavier than fiberglass

I don't think GM made that many aluminum parts for the El Camino. Maybe I'm wrong. I know some Cutlass's had aluminum hoods, core supports and bumper support braces but that's all I've ever heard of.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The only things I have seen as far as lightweight parts for an El Camino are fiberglass hoods and bumpers and anything else in fiberglass will be race only parts and I doubt you will find anything in aluminum.

No aftermarket aluminum parts out there that anyone knows of?

I saw a factory aluminum core support for a g body on a Facebook for sale group awhile back. I think it was around $300. From what I understand factory aluminum parts on any g body were incredibly rare. Unfortunately all the stuff on my car is steel.

By the time I blast the rust off my steel core support it will be as light as aluminum.

Reactions: 1 users
How bout aluminum steering shafts (are those even a thing??). Even though thered hardley be a real weight reduction. LOL

No aluminum parts (aside from rear brake drums, a few moldings, and possibly bumper mount plates, depending on year/option content) were factory-installed on El Caminos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor