Am I the only one who is tired of LS swaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Title says it all. They're just so played out, same with the normal Chevy Mill. Sure, they're EVERYWHERE and you can make monster power with them for next to nothing, but chevy's in general are boring to me. It's the main reason I'm building a Buick 350 for my Regal. Sure, I could've swapped in a SBC, I know where to get plenty for cheap, as most of you do, but I just didn't want to. Anyone else feel the same? Also me being a bit of a purist kinda pushes it.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Engine swaps in general are fairly boring as most people aren't doing anything very novel.

I mostly enjoy seeing how people solve problems related to swaps in interesting ways.

My motivation for going with a SBC is purely about part availability and cost. I'm looking for the cheapest horsepower/dollar I can get in a package I can suit exactly to my needs. Generally speaking, that is most easily done with a SBC even with the growing market for LS swaps.

There is not much of a case for arguing that a SBC will perform better than a SBB or that it is a better architecture. However, it definitely can be argued that the more modern LS engines have superior characteristics (like oiling, stock head flow, etc).

Reactions: 1 user

84_SS

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2015
Windsor, Ont
I guess it depends on your goals for your car. My goal is to basically make a lot of horsepower for very little money and be able to replace the entire engine for next to nothing when something does go wrong. The ease of part access and after market support is also a very nice thing.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, SBCs and Chebbys in general are literally the easiest and cheapest engines to hotrod. Really the only advantages I see in my situation for swapping in another Buick instead is:
1. Lighter weight. The average SBB is about 150lbs lighter than the average SBC (not LS) from the get go. The block and heads themselves are stronger due to having a higher nickle content in the block. Even the pre-smog and unleaded gas Buick 350s don't even really need hardened exhaust seats (still a good idea though) due to all the nickle in there. They are almost square bore engines, which makes a nice, flat, predictable torque and power curve. due to the long stroke (3.85 across all 12 years of the Buick 350), they are very torqey for small blocks. And the small bore (3.8, like the Buick 231 V6) adds to that torque. A 1970 Stage 1 Buick 350 was rated at 315hp and 410 for torque. Really the only downsides are again that small bore/stroke limits power and the dumb oiling system, but there are mods to make it livable. Yes it can be bored out/longer rods used, but the Chevy is infinitely easier to do so plus it already has a .2 inch bigger bore from the get-go. I could go on and on but I think ya'll get the point. lol

Oh, and #2, all the front accessory parts from a 3.8 bolt in place. :D

Reall

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If Chevys are boring you it's time to move on. I've had my share of others including Buicks but I'm into drag racing and just love the bang for the buck.
Copy of Picture Three.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Merlin1952

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2015
Eastern N.C.
I don't know about the Buick and Oldsmobile but for the Pontiac there seems to be a decent amount of aluminum heads and intakes available used and there are even stroker kits now available for the 400 engine. I do enjoy seeing the older cars sporting the same brand of engine as the car even though most of the 78 to 87 G bodies seem to have came originally with Chevy engines. Anyway, just my 2 cents!

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Most of the LS boys that I hear talk have spent a ton of money to get them to run with some snot. Unless you ;stroke them and add a good set of heads and expensive cam and the other upgrades. Most are not any more faster then a simple vortec SBC with a cam carb and a HEI. Easy to make big power with a simple 350 vortec 880 casting, just order a standard bore stroker kit and a comp EX-282 hyd. roller cam and as Hot Rod did to made well over 450+HP and 480+TQ. If you can't do it for under $2500 complete from the oil pan to the vortec valve covers give me a call and I will get you all the part numbers to do it your self.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
I don't think they are boring as much as they are overplayed. They are great engines and there is a lot you can do with them, but it would be nice to see someone do something a little crazy. I'm going with an LS in my regal, not because I'm a I want the latest and greatest but rather because it's a complex swap that I'd like to learn. However, I'd like to see someone stuff an old GMC V6 in a hot rod. Or some kind of turbo diesel swap with a hater pipe out the hood. I like crazy swaps .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor