Another FRAM story

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
#when applicable...

soo.. is yours applicable? or is it like dealer installed options?:banana::wax::blam:
I run The Napa Gold on ALL my Engines, from my stock GN V6 to my T type that's pushing over 600HP..They work perfectly. I change all oils on my daily driver vehicles every 3k even with using synthetic oil and Napa gold filters on those too. I'm sure there are "better" filters out there, but for me, why would i spend 12 to 25 dollars for a filter when I'm changing it every 3K. To me, Napa Gold is of high quality and the best filter out there for the money at around $8 a piece.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Obviously I don't care about my stock 305 by using Fram for 2000 miles between yearly oil changes. I cut open the last one and compared it to an AC Delco to see what the hubbub was all about. The Fram has lesser pleats but the construction was solid otherwise. Hardly the same Fram internet horror story I watched.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah I love the Hastings filters, they can be hard to find locally though.
Peavy Mart up here carries the Hastings filters. The Hastings fuel filters are made in China, no issues with their 3/8" inline though. Hastings oil filters are made in the USA on the same line as the Baldwin filters. At least last I checked.... Too bad on the Purolator filters, as said used to be really good. Makes sense the Wix and Napa filters are being made in China or Mexico and no longer in Canada, this will probably be my last one. Most Napa Gold are a lot more than $8 here and the Wix, quite a bit more again. I can get the LF222 Hastings for my Olds for $8, I will probably stick with them from now on everything.

Reactions: 1 user

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
I use K&P Engineering billet filter. Easily cleaned and you can inspect the filter to see what's going on. No bypass to send dirty oil through the engine.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
NAPA has gotten cheaper with there parts. I had a 17 year career with NAPA. Everything from a counter man, store manager and a store owner. They always used to be a little more money back in the day compared to there competition but the quality was there. As the years went by they needed to get some of those low ball dollars. Henst the quality started slacking but they got into discount parts business.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
NAPA has gotten cheaper with there parts. I had a 17 year career with NAPA. Everything from a counter man, store manager and a store owner. They always used to be a little more money back in the day compared to there competition but the quality was there. As the years went by they needed to get some of those low ball dollars. Henst the quality started slacking but they got into discount parts business.

In the late ‘90s I had a friend who managed a NAPA store. He showed me some Wix info with pics, specs, cut apart filters showing NAPA gold and silver being absolutely identical other than labeling and packaging. It was the difference between $6 and $4 at that time which sold me. Times have changed as have bankruptcy laws, so $2 means nothing to folks anymore. Well I should says $20000 means so little to most people that I can’t imagine anyone caring about $2. Dang I’m getting old and crotchety.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
on my daily driver since i change the oil on it once a month i just use the cheap micro guard brand from oreillys for my oil changes.
then for my gbodys i use k&n oil filters to make it easier to remove since they have that bolt thing on the bottom to be able to use a socket on them.
my mercury cougar i use motorcraft brand or royal purple filters since i only change the oil once a year on it.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
I did not read through this whole thread. I probably won't come back to read anything after this post, as this argument drives me bonkers.

EVERY video I can find on youtube that bashes fram filters, comparing them to any others, is monumentally flawed. They are ALWAYS, ALWAYS comparing a 3 dollar fram filter to it's 10 dollar counterparts. Hell I saw one video where the guy compares about 12 different brands, and none of the filters are from the same application as the next! How can you compare a filter for a honda accord to a filter for a Cummins?!

I'm not defending fram (yes, I do sell them, along with many other filter brands,) but COME THE F**K ON! If I ever have the time, I will do a similar video that compares apples to apples. Why is no one ever using a NAPA Select filter? ya know, the 3 dollar one!

Every brand has it's premium filters and its economy filters. In fact, I opened up a PH5 and a PF1218F (fram and delco) and if I had to choose, it would have been the fram all day long. The delco was a much cheaper design with less filter media. They have now changed to PF1218A, which is heavier, so probably better than the 'F' filters.

Either way, at the end of the day, if you want a good filter, spend more than 3 dollars!

Rant over.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor