Another FRAM story

Status
Not open for further replies.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
I use Mobil 1 oil filters now since switching from Wix/NAPA Gold. Made in USA (at least the box says so) and less than $10 around here at Walmart...…………….or $15 elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use an Amsoil filter....pricey but I change the 8 quarts of synthetic oil once a year

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I have read the horror stories about Fram filters but I never paid much attention until now. My Daughter has an '01 Jeep Cherokee with the 0331 head and we think it is cracked. We put a 160° thermostat in, left the radiator cap off, and drove it 20 miles to my house. When I parked it in my yard I noticed the oil pressure was 0!!! We changed the oil thinking it was contaminated and same thing. So I began checking stuff. I T'd in a mechanical gauge and got the same. Then I removed the gauge and put a barbed fitting with a clear hose to the valve cover filler hole. Ran the engine and got brisk oil flow. No clog there. That is when I spotted the Fram oil filter. I pulled it off and put a new AC filter on. BINGO!!! Oil pressure. So the Fram was the problem, and it wasn't even that old. UnbelievI

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I had a 2000 Cherokee Sport for 12 years bought it in 1995 just sold it last Dec. 0331 head as well,At 156k I noticed constant drop in coolant level in the reservoir.Shortly there after my oil pressure to zero,put on a separate gauge but no change.Never ever in my years have I ever used Fram filters on anything,Compression check showed the standard crack at cyl.3&4. Loved my Cherokee they dont build em like that anymore,just keep an eye on your coolant level.

Nov 4, 2012
Yes, it was the right one. He said he usually buys better brands but he needed one fast and it was on sale or something. I myself prefer AC Delco or WIX or Puralator. As I tell this to people no one has heard of the Fram problem. Yet the interwebs are loaded with horror stories.

Watch those Purolator filters. They have had a media tearing issue going on since about 2012 and it is still occurring regularly. Read all about it on BITOG if you wish. It occurs in the Purolator-made Motorcraft FL-820S (mostly used on modular V8s, 4.6Ls) but the other Motorcrafts are generally okay. But personally I wouldn't use a top of the line Purolator if you gave it to me. My peace of mind is worth more than a few bucks.

I don't like the AC Delcos either ever since they went E-core.

I've been going with Wix on just about everything except my Subaru because I can get OE filters really cheap for it.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What ever happen to QA on a product before putting it out with updates or changes? Years back (in the dark ages for some here) they were a good filter but now...:poop:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
K&N here.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
The Fram Ultra Synthetic is actually a pretty good filter, especially if you can get it for $9 at Walmart. It has wire backed synthetic media, silicone ADBV, metal end caps and lots of pleats. I think it'd be fine to run for two 5k mile oil change intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor