Another kick in the nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Thanks for the responses, I don't have the contents inside the garage insured separately. Never even thought of that, this is my first time owning a house.

I was never told anything about the wood burner in the garage from the insurance company. Nothing good or bad, literally nothing at all. They didn't even ask about it come to think of it.

My worry is that they are going to try saying that I installed the wood burner after the inspection and make me prove that it was installed prior. It's been in there for 30 years by now. My grandpa is the previous owner that's how I know.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
After 30 years I don't think you could blame the wood burner. But the flue pipe leaking was probably where they may try and blame you. Especially if it passed through a confined space where it could not be seen and serviced. As for the Argon, yes, a cylinder under pressure exposed to a fire is very dangerous, but it held. Even if it did blow it would have probably extinguished the fire. That is how HALON extinguishers work.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks for the responses, I don't have the contents inside the garage insured separately. Never even thought of that, this is my first time owning a house.

I was never told anything about the wood burner in the garage from the insurance company. Nothing good or bad, literally nothing at all. They didn't even ask about it come to think of it.

My worry is that they are going to try saying that I installed the wood burner after the inspection and make me prove that it was installed prior. It's been in there for 30 years by now. My grandpa is the previous owner that's how I know.
They wouldn't need to say anything in the inspection to deny coverage around here, just so long as they list the exclusion. The inspection is mostly for 2 purposes, both to help the insurance - identify covered hazards on the property (a tree falling is a covered hazard, so they will note trees too close/leaning that if they fell would need payout);or to make sure your insured value premium covers the grade and nature of construction (solid brick repair costs more than masonry veneer so they make sure they charge you the accurate rebuild costs in your coverage). A non-covered/excluded hazard they don't need to tell you about since that isn't the purpose of the inspection.

Sometimes an agent will point it out to you if you have a local agent you buy through and have them visit at home though, asking what do you see here that I should ask for a rider on, or, what do I do to have xyz exclusion lifted.

I'd request a copy of their inspection report and the full policy so you can try to get a feel for where they're going before they get there. I'd also think twice about the tanks - if the fire inspector took initial pictures like you when securing the scene, and, then it isn't there to inspect and make sure valve wasn't leaking to ignite and/or what contents were, could have explaining to do.

Tough spot to be in for sure.

Last edited:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I'd also think twice about the tanks - if the fire inspector took initial pictures like you when securing the scene, and, then it isn't there to inspect and make sure valve wasn't leaking to ignite and/or what contents were, could have explaining to do.

Tough spot to be in for sure.
Never thought of that, the bottles are staying for now then. The less mess I create the better.

Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Sorry to hear about your losses. At least the things that really matter are ok. You, your family, your house, and your Monte. Hopefully this will open a few people's eyes to proper wood stove use and maintenance. I have been around wood burners my hole life. They are about as safe as anything else if maintained properly and operated properly. I only use stove pipe inside the room were I can see it. Triple wall pipe up through the roof. The chimney needs cleaned and inspected regularly. Depends on how much use and what type of wood you burn. More houses blow up from hot water heaters than chimney fires from wood stoves. Most fires I have heard of are from bad stove pipe chimneys. Hope it all pans out for you.

Reactions: 3 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Dude, I am so very, very sorry that this happened to you. My brother in law had a fire in his shop and he thought he lost everything too. Once the insurance paid whatever it was that they paid, we spent several weekends helping him go through his tools and stuff. We bought a bench grinder and mounted a polishing wheel on one side and a buffer wheel on the other. We salvaged most of his hand tools and a lot of other stuff by cleaning them as best we could and them using a light compound on them. We finished with a good buff and most of them came out pretty well. Don't despair. Everyone is till alive.
BTW, the worst the place looks when the insurance folks come, the better for you. Let them see it how it really is. Except for the tank. Good luck.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
I should also add that the fire started above the insulated ceiling. The flue pipe coming from the wood burner evidently came apart or leaked enough to start a fire up there. I had just went inside the house to change into garage clothes. Was in for maybe 10 minutes. By time I got back outside the fire had dropped through the ceiling and was literally raining down on everything. By time fire department got it out 6 trusses were basically burned away and a few of the 4x6 posts are all but gone.

Insurance never said anything about the wood burner in the garage when they came out to inspect it all in September when I closed. The only contingency they put on it was a tree I had to trim that was touching the roof. But everywhere I read says state farm doesn't cover wood burners in the garage anymore. I'm currently waiting on a call back from the claims agent but I'm not holding my breath.
I have been in talks with my State Farm agent about wood heat for my house, and about 6-12 months ago they changed their policy on wood stoves in houses to allow them as long as they were installed to manufacturer specifications. In the olden days, they would cancel your homeowners policy if they even thought you had a wood stove, but now they aren't so shitty about it.

It suck that it happened, but hopefully you will able to bounce back.

Is that bumper cover too far gone to save? It looks sooty, but is it heat warped?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have been reading about welding in you garage and the insurance implications of that. From what I read there is no problem welding in you garage as a hobby or personal use and not carrying on a business. It is not required to inform the insurance company about welding unless you are running a business..

"
Does an insurance customer need to inform their insurance agent if they are going to be welding in their garage?

Our Farmers agent said – no, not if you will be welding for yourself as a hobby and not business. However, they stress to their customers the following 2 important factors – safety and setting up a clean welding environment."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Replacement of any tools/equipment is going to be kinda tough. Some of my stuff goes back almost 50 years. Electric,air,and battery tools all have rubber or synthetic inners. Hopefully insurance will cover everything to your satisfaction

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
  • Dislike
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor