Any holley carb experts that can help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That depends. For a mild-ish cam at close to correct timing with the carb somewhere in the ball park, somewhere in the 17-19inHg range. Main thing is that the needle is steady. If it bounces you may be looking for a tight or burnt valve or maybe a cam that's going flat.

It very well may be carburetor related. But I learned from a guy in Iowa to rule out mechanical stuff first.

Did this come on over time or has it always run that way?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

adrianMCmoreno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2017
That depends. For a mild-ish cam at close to correct timing with the carb somewhere in the ball park, somewhere in the 17-19inHg range. Main thing is that the needle is steady. If it bounces you may be looking for a tight or burnt valve or maybe a cam that's going flat.

It very well may be carburetor related. But I learned from a guy in Iowa to rule out mechanical stuff first.

It started with a ignition problem and then I took off a quadrajet that the secondary didnt open and someone gave me this holley and I cant quite dial it in. It runs and idles good just a random pff that I feel as It drives i can be on the freeway and it will off sorry it's not quite a pop more of a little stumble

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Ahhh, gotcha. Reason I asked was you mentioning the recent valve job. Ran okay with the Q-jet? Might have just been choke linkage holding the secondaries closed.

I'll defer to the other guys on Holley advice. Been too long for me. Still, it just takes a couple minutes to do the vacuum gauge health check just to rule out the valvetrain stuff.

adrianMCmoreno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2017
Ahhh, gotcha. Reason I asked was you mentioning the recent valve job. Ran okay with the Q-jet? Might have just been choke linkage holding the secondaries closed.

I'll defer to the other guys on Holley advice. Been too long for me. Still, it just takes a couple minutes to do the vacuum gauge health check just to rule out the valvetrain stuff.

Yea I keep getting people telling me it's a burnt valve

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you have a burnt valve 3 months after you had a valve job the valve or 2 never sealed properly. I'd be heading back to the shop who did the heads

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

adrianMCmoreno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2017

So I put a vacuum gauge it held steady at 21

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
If it started doing it after you switched the carburetor then it has to be the timing
I have to put 69 jets and a 8.5 power valve in my 670 to keep it from surging at road speed

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Timing tabs are $5 on ebay. And can probably be found at a local parts store.

• Agree

adrianMCmoreno

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 12, 2017
Ok I went back and got the correct reading on the vacuum gauge. It is holding very steady at 18in. I have a 6.5 power valve in the carb could it be that the power valve is to low

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor