Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Before spending your money, do some do some rubber shopping on Tire Tack or your favorite resource - see what’s out there in a 245-50-16 or 255-50-16.

You might also want to look at 17s or 18s…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Or 4 aftermarket 16 x 8 wheels with zero offset.
There are some aftermarket wheels I like but I really think this GTA wheels will look great, but I'm not willing to customize anything. It has to fit or I have to find something else.

So 0 offset, thanks. What about back spacing?

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I think these will work.
So I think these will be what I need. If there is no concern with the pilot bore and the backspacing is good at 4 3/4, these will be great. Not expensive either.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes those will fit. I did have rubbing on the front because I had really lowered my car. They hit the inner wheel well. I've been told if you use the tall upper balljoints it cures that, and of course changes the camber curve to make it handle better too.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
+100 on StreetBu's admonition. I ran Camaro aluminum wheels on my 78 Monte and found that I had to substantially shave down the curled edge on the upper control arm to get them to fit on the front. Ultimately that severe an amount of metal removel weakened the arm enought that it broke around the ball joint. I got lucky because I was able to nurse the cripple home and into the front drive where I ended up having to remove that upper and replace it.

As for the center bore, no heavy equipment required. You want to remove only the absolute minimum necessary to get the rim to slip over the shoulder on the front rotor or onto the axle flange at the back. it can be accomplished with coarse sand paper100-180 gr and patience, or a ssmall flap wheel like the Dremel Tools use again 60-80 gr. When I went to test fit a a pair of S-10 alloy rims on my Monte I used the dremel and made just a few circular passes at a time and then test fitted it. Took a couple of tries for each to get it right.

As for running four front wheels, never knew that there could be that kind of difference. All my camaro rims came with the same backspace. So, for that matter, did/do my S-10s. The S-10 and G-Body suspensions are close relatives in many regards; GM wasn't going to go through an engineering exercise when they had ready to use components still on the shelf.

Nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
+100 on StreetBu's admonition. I ran Camaro aluminum wheels on my 78 Monte and found that I had to substantially shave down the curled edge on the upper control arm to get them to fit on the front. Ultimately that severe an amount of metal removel weakened the arm enought that it broke around the ball joint. I got lucky because I was able to nurse the cripple home and into the front drive where I ended up having to remove that upper and replace it.

As for the center bore, no heavy equipment required. You want to remove only the absolute minimum necessary to get the rim to slip over the shoulder on the front rotor or onto the axle flange at the back. it can be accomplished with coarse sand paper100-180 gr and patience, or a ssmall flap wheel like the Dremel Tools use again 60-80 gr. When I went to test fit a a pair of S-10 alloy rims on my Monte I used the dremel and made just a few circular passes at a time and then test fitted it. Took a couple of tries for each to get it right.

As for running four front wheels, never knew that there could be that kind of difference. All my camaro rims came with the same backspace. So, for that matter, did/do my S-10s. The S-10 and G-Body suspensions are close relatives in many regards; GM wasn't going to go through an engineering exercise when they had ready to use components still on the shelf.

Nick
It was something unique to the 3rd gen, and specifically the 16" rims you would find on those firebird/transam/gta cars. Front would be a 0 offset, but rears go to 16mm offset.

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I have a set of front GTA wheels on my Century.
20210516_115735.jpg
No problem with fitment on that car. I had them on my Monte with drop spindles and I had to grind something because they rubbed a little. I also have a set of aftermarket ones Kirban used to sell.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I have a set of front GTA wheels on my Century. View attachment 185263 No problem with fitment on that car. I had them on my Monte with drop spindles and I had to grind something because they rubbed a little. I also have a set of aftermarket ones Kirban used to sell.
That's great, thanks for the photo. My car is all original, no drop of any kind so I might not have to grind or cut anything. I like the black but with the color of your car, the gold ones might look good too. Thanks

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
This pic is how my Wagon arrived. Not sure what year wheels they are / were. I also don't remember if they're fronts or rears. But I can tell you he had a 1/2" spaces in there with longer wheel studs. I still have the wheels and spacers if anyone is interested. I'm looking to let 'em go really cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_2948.JPG
    IMG_2948.JPG
    578.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2954.JPG
    IMG_2954.JPG
    575.3 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor