Anybody out there that owns a 2011-2017 Camaro ? I am thinking about buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
At the risk of being tarred and feathered, may I suggest a mustang instead?

I spent quite a bit of time in those camaros and, to be honest, even as a used purchase the mustang wins.

For the same money as you'd spend on that camaro you have two choices in a mustang - 2012-2014 GT with 460+ hp, or, do with the 2015-up 305hp v6 s550 body.

Quality of materials - camaro feels cheap and plastic, with few options. Mustang has better materials, more options for the $, MUCH better fit and finish.

Utility - granted, you don't buy one of these for this with an elky at home. BUT the camaro comes with a relatively useless trunk. It's got depth, but it's narrow with a super tiny restrictive opening. It's like trying to stick things into a tunnel through a narrow opening. It's nice to be able to pick something up if you happen to be out without going home to swap vehicles.

Blind spots: fewer of these in the mustang, and more managable.

Interior room: I found more headroom and better cabin space layout in the mustangs. Entrance/egress is easier in the mustang.

Mustangs weigh in less than the portly camaros too. I've been all gm, but honestly, once I drove all the offerings the ford kicked gm's butt across the board. Painful as it was to admit, it's true

Bought a 2014 s197 body in '14, and a 2016 s550 body in '15. The s550 style handles much better out of the box, will say that. But enjoy both, and IMO, both were superior cars to the camaro offerings those years.

Do yourself a favor and, stigma aside, at least take a long test drive with an open mind on the mustang. Even my stepdad who bought an ss zl1 wishes hed looked seriously at the mustang in hindsight.

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Get a cheap well any G-body and put an aftermarket EFI on whatever it has dun deal....

Check please 😁

• Creative
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The G8 is the last car I considered owning from GM. The Camaro just looks awful, don't care how it drives. I love the Challenger, our 17 GT AWD kicks *ss all year long. The 305 hp V6 and 8 spd got 34.5 mpg imperial at 118 km/hr. So 30 mpg at 70 mph with every creature comfort is awesome. Other than the horn and stone chips, 0 issues at 34,000 km. Honestly I would look at a Genesis before a Camaro.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
For me the last really great GM vehicles are the TBSS and the GTO/G8.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I have a 2010 SS hardtop and a 2013 ZL1 convertible. The SS has an automatic because the wife wanted it that way. The convertible has the 6 manual. In 2016 they got smaller, so keep that in mind. Real estate inside a Camaro is bigger than it appears. The back seat is still useless, but you can at least fold down the rear seat back to access more trunk space if needed.

DO NOT get a Camaro if you are worried about bad hips. You have plenty of room, but the way the seats are, you almost have to back into those beeches. The seats are bolstered up on the sides so you have to sit down in a pit of sorts. Even worse if the car has the optional Recaros on the later models cuz it has "wings". Obviously, go test drive one to get an idea. Convertible with the top down isn't too bad, though.

Between the Mustang and Camaro, it's the same ol' story every single time. It depends on which one you prefer. There are drawbacks to either, and pluses for both. It's almost like the Mounds vs. Almond Joy thing. Or Coke vs. Pepsi. When I drive either of them, I don't care about plastic this or that. Those are just talking points everyone tries to down play and it's been like that since the beginning of Camaros. After 40 or so years you would think Mustang lovers would have something better to say. You sit in the leather seat, grab the leather wrapped wheel with one hand, and the leather wrapped shifter in the other. Plastic isn't a factor when you're driving one. The 3" wide visors do make you go "why are they here?" because they're not helpful unless you have a solar eclipse. My mirrors are adjusted right so blind spots aren't much of an issue for me, anyway. In the convertible, obviously with the top down, there is no blind spot. First time you sit in one, it feels like you're sitting in a hole almost as the beltline is higher. You CANNOT to the ol' lean your arm on the door sill thing without it looking very abnormal. Hands inside the ride at all times.

The Mustang has the badder sounding factory exhaust IMO, but that dual mode on the ZL1 is pretty nice too, as you can keep things a bit quieter at cruising speeds.

As far as the V6 models, they're cheaper, but still pretty peppy for what they are. They're really not THAT much better on gas mileage over the V8, if that's the concern. Of course, putting your foot in the L99/LS3/LSA it's definitely not a plus for fuel efficiency.

And obviously you probably aren't wanting one to hot rod, but if you do, as always, there's tons and tons of visual and performance upgrades available from both Ford and GM and the aftermarket, depending which animal you choose.

Reactions: 1 user

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Hello.... Wife had one a 2014 and like another forum member said her hips could not handle it. She also constantly complained about to many blind spots while driving. Traded it in for a Cadillac SRX SUV and couldn't be happier. Just my 2 cents worth my friend since you asked.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Kia Stinger GT. V6, AWD available, totally stealth while laying waste to unsuspecting Mustangs and Camaros. More doors are just part of the camouflage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor