Anybody out there that owns a 2011-2017 Camaro ? I am thinking about buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Kia Stinger GT. V6, AWD available, totally stealth while laying waste to unsuspecting Mustangs and Camaros. More doors are just part of the camouflage.
What a cool little car. Basically a shortened Genesis with a potent twin turbo V6 and AWD.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Got my wife a 2012 caddy cts coupe, black premium about 4 years ago. Same engine as v-6 camaro. revs to 7k. With blacked out 19" factory wheels, gets mistaken for the v-model. Wife had to get used to having a vehicle that gets attention. Figured I'd mention it as an alternative since the book value of this once near 70k optioned car dropped to less than 15k at best last I looked. Has some of the same positives & negatives of the camaro, but more luxurious interior.
Reliability wise, I'd say the camaros are as good as any. With any custom styled coupe, you gave up a little comfort & vision for style. All a matter of opinion. I've ridden in several later camaros & liked them , favorite being a 700 hp 2017 ZL1 10 speed, driven in track mode.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Kia Stinger GT. V6, AWD available, totally stealth while laying waste to unsuspecting Mustangs and Camaros. More doors are just part of the camouflage.
The non-cosmetically-appealing front end must be the other part. But he's already got a 4 door and the issues with the seat position vs. B pillar and I don't think he's looking for something that new. I know it wasn't a specific request, but I believe the goal was to get something more of an A to B car that can be easily gotten in and out of with 2 doors and apparently a style that he likes.

jlcustomz has a point about an older, 2 door cts. The seats aren't horrible, and a 2 door would be easier to get in and out of. The sedan I think would give the same issues of the seat being behind the B pillar. But it's a bit tougher to find a 2 door. The manufactured demand for SUV whatever they are has dropped demand for coupes and sedans and prices have been pushed off a cliff. But we had a 2010 CTS wagon and now a 2016 CTS sedan and it's a solid car with nice amenities that doesn't cost an arm and a leg if you go used.

The best thing to do if undecided is to test drive a few cars that you like in your price range to see how you like getting in and out. If you're tall, that's going to be more of a challenge to your hips on these low-slung coupes and sedans, obviously.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Holy crap, 2dr CTS v6 cars are CHEAP. I had no idea.

13 with under 80k for 11.5k! That is basically comparable to v6 G8 or v6 camaro money, for a lot more interior comfort.

They come in AWD too.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well that comment of look at a cts and my searching has narrowed myself down to actually considering a cts coupe or wagon for my next beater if I can find a wrecked one.

I never considered them since they are cads and the northstar cars, plethora of FWD grandpa platforms, 1st gen CTS 6 lug stuff, and everything else totally erased cad from my interest list. But then I realized
IT STILL HAS 5x4.75 bolt pattern!!!!!

Plus
IT IS STILL RWD BASED

Honestly if they would have put a 5.3 or something it it instead of the 3.0/3.6 it would be a sweet daily. I'm genuinely interested in buying a blown up 3.0 or 3.6 CTS and seeing if a Trailblazer awd oil pan and NA 5.3 would bolt into with some v8 cts-v motor mounts. AWD v8 wagon yes please!

A 2.8 turbo Saab Aero turbo kit might bolt on with some creative fab work since they are both "high feature" 60 deg. v6's.

Honestly it's the only parts bin swapping project GM thing that has at all interested me thats not truck or SUV related from anything post 2006ish.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Figured mentioning the CST coupe would get someone's attention. I was rather pissed to find out how much the value dropped. The wife's car has heated/ vented Recarro seats, Woodgrain interior parts, power moonroof,pop up nav & stereo screen, Magnetic ride, 275/ 45/19 rear tires. It rides firm but comfortable or wife wouldn,t have it.
The 2 door coupes have a sharp chiseled muscular wide hipped rear design not to be mistaken with anything else. The respond well to some tasteful custom rims, paint, & blacking everything out.
The older 4 door only v models were LS6 powered. Much more affordable , but not near as cool looking as the later coupes. The I think 2011 to 2015 or 2016 coupes , sedans & yes, wagons in V trim were LSA supercharged. Not sure, but wouldn't doubt they are the same class platform as camaros.
Not sure if the v-6 IRS is same as v-8 models, but you definitely can get cts oil pans from GMPP as they were a popular g-body & other musclecar choice before the aftermarket caught up. The later v-6's are direct injection & seem pretty tough, so may be hard to find nice shell/blown engine. No doubt a v-8 would fit in place, but wiring would be fun. Haven't checked, but who knows what the aftermarket may have for swaps.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
At the risk of being tarred and feathered, may I suggest a mustang instead?

I spent quite a bit of time in those camaros and, to be honest, even as a used purchase the mustang wins.

For the same money as you'd spend on that camaro you have two choices in a mustang - 2012-2014 GT with 460+ hp, or, do with the 2015-up 305hp v6 s550 body.

Quality of materials - camaro feels cheap and plastic, with few options. Mustang has better materials, more options for the $, MUCH better fit and finish.

Utility - granted, you don't buy one of these for this with an elky at home. BUT the camaro comes with a relatively useless trunk. It's got depth, but it's narrow with a super tiny restrictive opening. It's like trying to stick things into a tunnel through a narrow opening. It's nice to be able to pick something up if you happen to be out without going home to swap vehicles.

Blind spots: fewer of these in the mustang, and more managable.

Interior room: I found more headroom and better cabin space layout in the mustangs. Entrance/egress is easier in the mustang.

Mustangs weigh in less than the portly camaros too. I've been all gm, but honestly, once I drove all the offerings the ford kicked gm's butt across the board. Painful as it was to admit, it's true

Bought a 2014 s197 body in '14, and a 2016 s550 body in '15. The s550 style handles much better out of the box, will say that. But enjoy both, and IMO, both were superior cars to the camaro offerings those years.

Do yourself a favor and, stigma aside, at least take a long test drive with an open mind on the mustang. Even my stepdad who bought an ss zl1 wishes hed looked seriously at the mustang in hindsight.
I’ve been a GM fan since I was 6 years old. I have a G body and a 69 SS w/ a 454. This Past Christmas i bought a 2019 Mustang GT, 6 speed, and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. Quality materials, great performance and handling. The dealer where I purchased my Ford Explorer Limited (another great vehicle) has a black 2019 Shelby sitting inside the showroom. I’m tempted.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The new Bullit Mustang sitting on the dealers lot here is very tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor