anyone ever hear 8 into 1 headers in person or know info about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Not to go off into left field, but my understanding is an H or X-pipe is designed to equalize exhaust pressure and kind of give some of the hypothetical benefits of a flat-plane crank. Anyone have any further insights? I’m not an engineer, BTW...

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks Fleming. What I meant was IF I were to do the 8 into 1 design , it would be for sound reasons over the tri-y header setup I started on & never completed. The 180 degree design gives a similar effect to the 8 into 1, but I think the 180 degree thing would even be harder for me, even more pipe snaking with no room. And yea , 180 degree requires the correct cylinders to be paired according to your firing order.
By effect the 180 degree design is like tri-y's on steroids. The 8 into 1 is like a 180 degree on steroids, each firing cylinder being pulled by the last cylinder. All the cylinders firing together give this effect. Cylinder pairing by firing order is what makes each of these designs possibly better than all dumping into a merge collector. X-pipe has a scavenging & equalizing effect, but not per cylinder. H-pipe just equalizes pressure. Both x& h also give the effect of increased volume, both sides of engine theoretically being able to breathe through both exhaust pipes.
And I already got a wtf was that vehicle, think it should sound like one. Not that I don't love the sound of my 6 speed v-8.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If I am understanding this correctly wouldn't a 8 into 1 system have all primaries going into single collector and if so it seems like a completely different concept from the 180 degree header.
Same concept- even more of a packaging nightmare. I'd have to see some back to back to back dyno numbers.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks Fleming. What I meant was IF I were to do the 8 into 1 design , it would be for sound reasons over the tri-y header setup I started on & never completed. The 180 degree design gives a similar effect to the 8 into 1, but I think the 180 degree thing would even be harder for me, even more pipe snaking with no room. And yea , 180 degree requires the correct cylinders to be paired according to your firing order.
By effect the 180 degree design is like tri-y's on steroids. The 8 into 1 is like a 180 degree on steroids.
And I already got a wtf was that vehicle, think it should sound like one. Not that I don't love the sound of my 6 speed v-8.
I think, for the LS crowd, the best 8 into 1 collector is a turbo. ;) I also think the key to the sound generated in the video is the uber-short tailpipe with what appear to be exectly equal length primaries. It would have to be a huge pipe full-length. I'm curious as to what they did inside the collector.

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Not to go off into left field, but my understanding is an H or X-pipe is designed to equalize exhaust pressure and kind of give some of the hypothetical benefits of a flat-plane crank. Anyone have any further insights? I’m not an engineer, BTW...
The only problem with those is that the exhaust pulses have already merged in the respective bank collector. They help a little, but have been dyno proven to provide very little gain.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The only problem with those is that the exhaust pulses have already merged in the respective bank collector. They help a little, but have been dyno proven to provide very little gain.

I noticed in the other forum that one guy mention that circle track guys use them, the ones that we all used was Schoenfeilds. The exhaust has to exit on th eright side so there is no room to go under and cross from the left rise to the right side and we always tried to keep as much heat from the driver's area . The 4" collectors met on the top right side of the bellhousing

9171963_R_ee6be49c-cb12-42dc-90e1-309666a6f7f7.jpg

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks for the link, hadn't saw that one yet. In fact there just isn't much info on these things that I've seen yet---at all. This example looks to be seriously built for pipe length & tuning needs, Makes the Tanner Faust car version look compact next to it.
Apparently there definitely is something to this style of header configuration. Hopefully more examples will pop up in the future.
I posted same thread on pro-touring which has a lot of know it alls there 2 weeks ago, not one response. Posted on ls1 tech, only one person said they ever heard one in person, & it sounded unique.
Occasional research will continue, hopefully one day this won't be a pipe dream.:cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor