Are moog tie rod ends still worth the extra money??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the moog tie rod ends on amazon for about 20 each so I ordered those. I am not too enthused that they are made over seas but they were only about 2-3 dollars each more than the local parts store house brand. I also ordered UMI tie rod adjusters along with everything I needed to complete my blazer big brake conversion.

I just replaced everything on my front suspension on My 1980 GP.
While I had every thing out, I lined up everything.
The old stuff was from the factory (On since 1980 or whenever it was built 1979)
While I was doing that I wanted to compare the quality.
The replacement stuff was a mix, Tie-rods from Autozone, Center link from World Products (ebay).
I did a sound test, that's tapping the part with a hammer and listening to the sound.
The old stuff made a deep metal sound, the New stuff (That I believe was made in Chiner) made a high pitch "TING" like it was made of a cheaper metal or cast, further more when I lined them them up with the old factory stuff I could see the tolerances where slightly off.
No wonder they where so cheaper, but so far so good.
Made in USA lol

While China has a poor track record for quality in some instances I can say that quality is largely determined by how manufacturing is managed and how well specifications are written. I think that the China built stuff at AutoZone and Advanced Auto is decent stuff largely due to the fact that those companies would not risk a class action lawsuit for inferior manufacturing standards and have put adequate controls in place. As a part of my job I purchase injection mold tooling from China on a regular basis with better quality than what I get in Canada and the US. If my customer (GM, Ford, Toyota, Mercedes...etc.) allowed me to purchase all tooling in the US I would do it but the competitive market does not allow. Many high quality products come directly from China. Apple I phones and Bose products are a few that come to mind.....poor specifications and lack of up front engineering is what gives some Chinese products a bad name...(Children's toys made with hazardous materials, etc. etc.)

Good Manufacturing Practices & Quality Control >>> Where a product is assembled/built/made

Makes me wish I had kept the original tie rods off my car when I rebuilt the front end. I don't think there was anything wrong with them, but I wanted nice clean parts to put back on when it went back together. Luckily I came across a complete NOS front steering setup. Even had the idler and pitman arms. I wonder where it was made?

There is so little actually produced in the U.S. anymore that it's surprising to see anything with "Made in USA". There isn't much reason for companies to manufacture anything here anymore other than purely for pride and to say that it was, as sad as that is. It's not cost effective whatsoever in most instances.

It just comes down to ethical business practices and how much you want to spend. Companies really don't want to rely on China, but they aren't given much choice. Perhaps this will change
Makes me wish I had kept the original tie rods off my car when I rebuilt the front end. I don't think there was anything wrong with them, but I wanted nice clean parts to put back on when it went back together. Luckily I came across a complete NOS front steering setup. Even had the idler and pitman arms. I wonder where it was made?

Canada.

my inner tie rods showed up on Saturday, believe it or not the box says made in USA but the tie rod doesn't say it like my other set does. the outters should be here today, ill post what the box says.

Stock tie rod ends for sale $50 a set. 🙂 Lol I still have my stock ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor