Are we toast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
The problem is, news stories or articles on facepage and Google are NOT peer reviewed scholarly journal articles.

However, even scholarly work can be suspect because they are very narrowly focused, I've encountered the problem with many in various scientific fields. If C can be made of A + B they decide a+b is true, so, it drives or creates C. Many studies out there have thay fallacy.

It's like saying really fast cars have big motors. So, if we can find a car, and it has a big motor, its really fast.

But what if there's no transmission? Or no rear end? Or there's something wrong with the engine itself.??

So many of the "studies" don't look further at the big picture of the transmissions, rear ends, or engine health. They prove their small piece of a hypothesis and fail to look at bigger pictures.

And that's the biggest problem with all that climate science.
I agree with you that correlation does not always imply causation.

However, some things are just obvious.
Yes, a car with a big motor, adequate drivetrain, sticky tires, and steering/suspension is fast.
Yes, dumping trash and chemicals in the ocean, burning tires, cutting down trees, and rolling coal is bad for the Earth.

It's an undeniable fact that average temperature of the Earth has increased in recent human history, and that it is collectively because of us.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I agree with you that correlation does not always imply causation.

However, some things are just obvious.
Yes, a car with a big motor, adequate drivetrain, sticky tires, and steering/suspension is fast.
Yes, dumping trash and chemicals in the ocean, burning tires, cutting down trees, and rolling coal is bad for the Earth.

It's an undeniable fact that average temperature of the Earth has increased in recent human history, and that it is collectively because of us.
Don't get me wrong, I'll agree that some activities are collectively bad no matter how you look at it.

But we aren't seeing sensible change.

What we are seeing is a damn the torpedoes go straight ahead approach without looking at the consequences of THOSE new actions. Like the forced ev mandates. Or the massive 'green' energy that doesn't look at the costs, or the effects, of the changes.

When to create that disruptive change, you create a forced need to massive manufacturing. But, when the terms of the effort say some part of the globe need massive change, other parts can accelerate their same old way of doing things that was deemed destructive, yet cheaper, you create a competitive disadvantage.

What's better? Manufacturing the way we used to, and consuming old technology? Or. Shifting all that manufacturing to somewhere like China or other 3rd world countries, places without any pollution controls or emissions obligations?

Because its not transforming us manufacturing to be green and healthy. It's driving it abroad where it's cheaper and you can do it the old way.

Kind of like short sighted 'green' energy that creates unknown holistic impacts, just doesn't put co2 into circulation again.

The "normal" status quo for Earth is a much warmer, much wetter, version than exists now. Does old way human activity does push it back there faster, but. It is where someday the plant would return once this ice age ends as they all do.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
For sure, if a corporation has to build electric cars, so that the attention of climate change gets blamed on the average consumer, than them and their business I practices that do the real damage?

Then they will build them without question.
I didn't say that. Why was I quoted?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
It's a top-down problem, agreed
For sure, if a corporation has to build electric cars, so that the attention of climate change gets blamed on the average consumer, than them and their business practices that do the real damage?

Then they will build them without question.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I didn't say that. Why was I quoted?
I was going to quote you but then I deleted it, and tried quoting Lukez, but the dumbass system mixed it up. Oops lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Don't get me wrong, I'll agree that some activities are collectively bad no matter how you look at it.

But we aren't seeing sensible change.

What we are seeing is a damn the torpedoes go straight ahead approach without looking at the consequences of THOSE new actions. Like the forced ev mandates. Or the massive 'green' energy that doesn't look at the costs, or the effects, of the changes.

When to create that disruptive change, you create a forced need to massive manufacturing. But, when the terms of the effort say some part of the globe need massive change, other parts can accelerate their same old way of doing things that was deemed destructive, yet cheaper, you create a competitive disadvantage.

What's better? Manufacturing the way we used to, and consuming old technology? Or. Shifting all that manufacturing to somewhere like China or other 3rd world countries, places without any pollution controls or emissions obligations?

Because its not transforming us manufacturing to be green and healthy. It's driving it abroad where it's cheaper and you can do it the old way.

Kind of like short sighted 'green' energy that creates unknown holistic impacts, just doesn't put co2 into circulation again.

The "normal" status quo for Earth is a much warmer, much wetter, version than exists now. Does old way human activity does push it back there faster, but. It is where someday the plant would return once this ice age ends as they all do.
You're right in that moving dirty production and manufacturing off of US soil isn't solving any climate issues. Whether the emissions and waste are produced in North America, Europe, Asia, etc. doesn't matter. It's all the same Earth

The planet does have a natural climate cycle that it is always going through - the problem is that it has been exponentially sped up. Too much change all at once is bad.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Grand Solar Minimum...

aaannndddd discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor