Axle shaft question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The holes in the axle flange are NOT the same size for the SAE versus the metric studs. They are an oddball ball size and you won't find the "correct" size drill bit. You can drill them out to the next closest size and it will work. That's what I did back in the day and had no issues. The correct way to do it if you can't get the hole the right size would be to just swap the axles out of a later G body. Plus you get to change the differential fluid which few people ever do.

I used a drill then a reamer to open them up to the proper size

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Many people don't have access to a reamer

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
MSC tool is a good source. They aren't super cheap ($40) but it is a precision tool. Pontiac GP is right, the reamer is the right way to do it. You could step up to it with a drill press and a drill but I don't recommend it. Doing it by hand is also risky. The problem is you only have .035 to begin with. The drill will cut crappy unless you are rigidly controlling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor