ball joints, tie rod ends, center link....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have had it with my front suspension having wobbels and the crappy mush feeling that has happened with 110,000 niles of use and throwing a v8 on top of crap springs so i am replacing it all. i have been pricing ball joints, tie rod ends and center links. does anyone know if there is any advantage to buying the more expensive parts verses the 8 dollar tie rod ends i can get at advance? i have been told that you are getting the same part but paying for a warantee...... at 8 bucks each it will have to break 3 times before i save money with the warantee.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
when i rebuilt my front end (big pain in the butt) i got most parts from autozone and got the noramal replacement parts nothing fancy for the tie rods and center drag link, but on the ball joints i got the more expensive Moog brand with better warranty since its a harder part to replace. I got the Moog springs from summit racing since i replaced them with the S10 front springs and the iroc rear springs.

Basically if i could replace it easily i bought the cheaper part, but if it was a biotch to get to it i opted for the better parts.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My stuff is all parts store except the bushings and has gone 40k so far with no issues. I think I used all Moog parts and shopped around until I found a store that sold them. I have had bad experiences with other brands, so I try to stick with them. They have better grease reservoirs than cheaper ones in my experience. Replace the steering coupler while you are in there too.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
yeah forgot to mention when i rebuilt the front end i also upgraded all of the bushings to poly ones instead of stock rubber

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i already have polys wating on painted control arms, new stiffer springs, sensatrac shocks, new rotors, new calipers, new lines, hoses.... i bought it all for the regal and then did the s10 dual piston brake upgrade and air bags so i have all of the parts with maybe 100 miles if that on them. basically i am going to replace every last part in the front end and get a alignment then throw the 17s from the regal on it untill the regal is painted. should be nice!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
definately go with MOOG parts. you can go aftermarket on the springs, if it's a good company. for shocks i'd use koni or bilstein if you want good handling. KYB's only feel good for a couple of months.
don't forget about the idler arm. also make sure that it is mounted so that the center link is level with the car.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
Well i am not trying to put a bunch into this car, its my daily driver not my project car but then again i think it has become a project car lol. just on a smaller scale. i think the springs are moog springs for a camaro or s10 application, cant remember.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They are ALL project cars...

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
i've replaced too many whitebox parts prematurely to put them my own car. i went with moog springs, moog front end parts and kyb shocks. couldnt be happier and i've put about 75k km on them with zero problems

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Gbody parts.com has a frontend rebuild kit that uses Moog parts. It costs 280 bucks, I dont know if that is a good price or not, I havent really shopped around. It does not come with ball joints, but they have an option to add them for another 100 bucks(they are also Moog).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor