Battery good, no power else where

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
Needless to say I am stump. I am not good with electricity and finding out why it does not work.
So here goes: 1980 Malibu. PO: Deleted the AC and Heater, wired a electric fuel pump up, electric fan...
My battery has power. I have traced power to the starter. Then I can trace it up to where it goes in the firewall, and that is where I am lost and no clue where to go. i have no dome lights, radio, nothing in the car. Turn the key and nothing. I have been working (learning) on the carb. It ran last week, with no issues. Today nothing! i have a wiring schematic, but it is greek to me. I am guessing a fuse or fusible link somewhere but where???? :?

Any leads or ideas for me to check???

Thanks a bunch, let me know if you need more info, I am sure I left something out.

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
Nevermind :D
As stupid as my luck is, I figured it out. It was the aftermarket amp gauge. Not sure why, but I wiggled it and I had power, so I tighten up the nuts and she starts :) No on to my next issue, :-(, fuel regulators.....

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Lose the amp gauge and switch to voltage. That's old school tech that doesn't mean anything. Odds are, if you have electric fuel, water, and fan, it will peg the amp gauge anyway....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a gauge is only supposed to give info about the system...how was that hooked up to cut off the power?

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I hope the guy that hooked that up didn't use the cheesy 24ga wire to wire that amp gauge into the ignition circuit. I would really check into that circuit and fix it.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
No offense but i dont know of anyone who runs an amp gauge anymore. Id rather have a volt meter

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
pontiacgp said:
a gauge is only supposed to give info about the system...how was that hooked up to cut off the power?

All the circuits other than the starter motor go through the ammeter, the current runs in series through it. A voltmeter is connected in parallel, it gives a reading of the voltage available from the battery, in the real world a much more useful guide to the well being of your cars electrical system.

Roger.

Chlorin8ed

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2011
Thanks for the comments guys, I am still learning. PO was an old school guy, very knowledgable for his time. I have never had a problem until now. When I swap/move the gauges someday, I will put a voltmeter in instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor