Best brake material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The only way I can keep up with the women burning through brakes is to use fleet/taxi/police versions. But now even those are available in various materials. I generally use semi-metal. What about the ceramic, metallic, etc. materials? All I care about is longevity.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have always found semi metallic last well without being noisy. Not sure what brand is on the 6L slug work truck but their squealing every time the pedal is touched is annoying, adds to my dislike of the truck. Everything looks brand new, we are pretty sure too hard of pads were used.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The only way I can keep up with the women burning through brakes is to use fleet/taxi/police versions. But now even those are available in various materials. I generally use semi-metal. What about the ceramic, metallic, etc. materials? All I care about is longevity.
Double edged sword.

The harder more durable pad materials eat up your rotors faster.

To me, I stick with a factory type semi metallic because I can swap out pads in under an hour relatively cheap. Rotor resurfacing or replacement costs more both in time and money.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Doesn't matter in the rust belt, pads seize in the caliper bracket, causing the rotor to either overheat, or scale up. So the vehicles get rotors and pads every time.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Ceramics should have a longer service life and make less noise. Semi metallic performs a little better but wears the rotors faster, plus the wear dust corrodes aluminum rims. That is one reason cop cars and taxis stick with steel rims.

The severe duty pads on my CVPI lasted for a long time. Only had to replace the rear ones due to a rear axle seal leak soaking the passenger side pads.

Just like with a fresh engine, pads and rotors need to be correctly broken in. Otherwise the service life will be reduced. Also the rotors need to be centered with a dial gauge for max life.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Doesn't matter in the rust belt, pads seize in the caliper bracket, causing the rotor to either overheat, or scale up. So the vehicles get rotors and pads every time.
Anytime I have any part of the brakes apart, I clean the metal clips that the pads ride on. Also the caliper/bracket where they fit.

They seem to get junky quick.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
If "the woman" rides the brakes alot, not sure it's really gonna matter what brakes you use. Just have an extra set on hand. You'll be the fastest brake changer in your neighborhood. It's the price we pay for love. "For better or worse" is the phrase that was used.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If "the woman" rides the brakes alot, not sure it's really gonna matter what brakes you use. Just have an extra set on hand. You'll be the fastest brake changer in your neighborhood. It's the price we pay for love. "For better or worse" is the phrase that was used.
If it's that bad then pay up for a chain shop to install "lifetime pads and rotors" on the car. Let them deal with all the changes

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If "the woman" rides the brakes alot,
They don't ride the brakes so much as roar up to a stop and slam them on. What could go wrong? I did not know the semi-metals wore the rotors faster, good to know. I tried ceramics once and they did not last long, but no dust. On my cars I usually start with fresh rotors and taxi brake pads, and never have to really change them. But then I anticipate stops and take my foot off the gas. What a concept. I am also still on my stock clutch I put in the Bonnewagon 15 years ago. I guess the semi-metals are about as good as you can ask for. Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor