Best Car Memories Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Oh my. Jack. You, you are a- a- criminal?!? I should have known. After all, he is from Crooklyn. :rofl:
:rofl:....guilty as charged....Did you think I'd get away unscathed living and growing up in Brooklyn NY of all places?..:p

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
My dad was always a Buick guy, for example owning an 82, 86, 89 Regal to name a few. I was lucky to "inherit" a 1973 Buick Apollo when I got my drivers license in 1977, my sophmore year in HS. It was one of the Nova clones with a 350 2 barrel and automatic. Red with black interior and bench seat. What a great date car! But anyway, in 1979 the car was mine outright and I could use it for college. Best thing I did was put on a dual exhaust and "turbo" mufflers that had a great drone and really woke up the car. Changed the shocks to the "new" gas type and with "new" radial tires over bias ply and aluminum rims the car handled so much better. It had a 2.73 rear gear so it did well in 3rd gear! I put over 100,000 miles on that car without any transmission or motor issues. It was a great first car. When my dad bought it it was a second car so it had no ac and was a base model with no extras. That was ok with me because it had less things for me to break like cruise or whatever was options then! Lol

I had so much fun in that car and when I dumped the am radio for the stereo cassette player with 4 speakers and a 25 watt amp....woohoo! lol

In the late 80's when I knew I was going to move West I sold it to a friend of mine who jacked up the suspension and did some other minor changes, which ended up for naught because I found out he wrecked the car doing something stupid. If I knew that I would have kept it. But I had bought an 89 Mustang 5.0 hatchback and no more room at the house.

I included a few pics. Sorry about the quality. I took a quick pic on my tablet. My goal next year is to digitize a bunch of my old photos.

IMG_0060.JPG

This picture was before my dual exhaust. I had them exit out the back. You might notice the tire track. Had fun parking it that day. This was a park that my friends and family had great cookouts at. This was Putnam Park in CT.
IMG_0061.JPG

Was not a big fan of front wheel drive but this Regal was solid and was still driving fine at 265,000 miles when we turned it in for a 2005 Mustang.

IMG_0059.JPG

Boy do I have stories to tell about this car! Was it fun! Sold it my Cousin 20 years ago and he put well over 175,000 miles on it before he sold it.

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
My best car memories aren't about a car but the times THE 60'S. I grew up and was part of the Muscle Car era, saw the rise and the fall of the muscle car. My 57 was my first car and my 68 the first new one. Take me back

Scan0003.jpg
Scan0002.jpg

Scan0004.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
are you allowed to go back there yet?
Yeah, I'm allowed to go back there, but who wants to? I had good and bad memories growing up there, but things aren't the same. I would have been a miserable SOB had we decided to stay up there.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You are wrong Jack. Shitty City is still the same- it sucks!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
are you allowed to go back there yet?
Yeah, I'm allowed to go back there, but who wants to? I had good and bad memories growing up there, but things aren't the same. I would have been a miserable SOB had we decided to stay up there.
You are wrong Jack. Shitty City is still the same- it sucks!!!!
Mark, are you telling me that I'm not missing much? ..lol!! I'll take your word for it...;)
It's been about 10 yrs since I've been back there. It just seems to get worse every trip back.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No Steve, it's always been shitty. There used to be a huge garbage landfill on Jamaica Bay right next to Kennedy Airport. A guy I knew in the Army said he stopped at JFK on a holdover and looking out the window all he saw was garbage. That was his only memory of NYC. Who thought THAT was a good idea?!? Years later a Sanitation official was convicted of taking bribes to let toxic waste be dumped there. Shitty City indeed. Which reminds me of another car story. I was heading into Manhatten in my '81 Malibu wagon to see my favorite band of all time- Status Quo.I had to pick up my Brother uptown and then go downtown for the concert. A cab was dicking me around on the Queens Boro Bridge and I floored it going across to avoid him. At that time I had a Pontiac 350 with a Rochester 2 barrel and that carb has a float drop setting. That keeps the float from sticking open in case the bowl goes dry. Well, I drained the bowl and the float stuck. The motor dies and I coasted all the way down the bridge to First Avenue and I just make it into a parking spot before I am dead in the water. Good thing I had manual steering. So I have no tools and I am stuck in Manhatten on a Saturday night with a flooded carb. All I had was a 4 way screwdriver in the glove box. Then I remembered a trick I'm sure you have heard of. I used the screwdriver to whack the float bowl hard. That must have dislodged the stuck float because after cranking a while, the motor started. I was able to get going, pick up my Brother, and see the concert. I had just missed seeing them in Germany and this concert was a MUST. On a sad note, guitarist Rick Parfitt passed away today in Spain. I am a fan for 50 years.http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I can't choose, I have so many car-related memories.
I was heading into Manhatten in my '81 Malibu wagon to see my favorite band of all time- Status Quo.
I never heard of this band before, but I get it now. I can see groovin' down the road to this tune.
My first major expedition at age 16 after earning my driver's license was a Styx concert. My parents let me drive the wagon solo, an hour into Philly. Although it was the Mr. Roboto tour, they did play a lot of their classic stuff. This was when they still had all the original members including drummer John Panozzo who passed away a few years later. Laugh all you want, I had a floor seat about 20 rows back. Styx utterly rocked!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor