Best EFI Conversion gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Either your car was assembled with the wrong tank or someone switched it out at some point. I just spoke with several TB guys and all said they should have the same baffled tank. Here are pictures right from my 1987 GM parts book. Same part number 22523080 for all 4 model years.

Mine is an '86. '86's have different Pump assemblies and different tanks. The parts books are from 1991, so they would have the superceded '87 part number. The tank is "baffled" but is only baffled front to back and not to the sides.

My Tank and pump were 100% original for a February '86 Car. My '86 GN with 25K miles had the same tank and Pump as my '86 T-type with the pump wiring different from the '87 (the same as an '84-85).

Racetronix was selling '87/86 pump kits and had to make a new kit for '86 cars after I bitched and showed them pictures of my 1986 and other people chimed in.

Some people that owned '87 GN's think they know everything there is to know about them. If they haven;t owned an '86, I take what they say with a grain of salt.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Mine is an '86. '86's have different Pump assemblies and different tanks. The parts books are from 1991, so they would have the superceded '87 part number. The tank is "baffled" but is only baffled front to back and not to the sides.

My Tank and pump were 100% original for a February '86 Car. My '86 GN with 25K miles had the same tank and Pump as my '86 T-type with the pump wiring different from the '87 (the same as an '84-85).

Racetronix was selling '87/86 pump kits and had to make a new kit for '86 cars after I bitched and showed them pictures of my 1986 and other people chimed in.

Some people that owned '87 GN's think they know everything there is to know about them. If they haven;t owned an '86, I take what they say with a grain of salt.
What you are describing as baffles sounds like the metal reinforcements that all of the GM A/G body tanks had. The picture you posted awhile ago shows what looks like a standard
Non baffled tank. Michael McCoy corroborated what I said and he has parted out over 200 hundred Turbo Regals. He said the same thing I said; someone replaced your tank as ALL 84-87 Turbo Regals are supposed to have the same tank WITH the plastic baffle that I posted earlier in this thread.
Maybe GM ran out of baffled tanks when yours was built and put a standard tank in it? I personally would not have left a non baffled tank in there, especially on something that was raced.
As another note; having dealt with GM parts for 30+ years now I can say with confidence that if a part was super ceded that it would list the original number as being replaced by current.
Btw, my parts book is from 1987 not 1991. Not sure where you are getting 1991 from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor