Best EFI Conversion gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am looking for reccomendations for a new gas tank for a Monte SS with a LS3 swap. I have so far looked at the one offerd by Holley and BRP. What does everyone use? I know that some people use the V6 tank but I am looking at all options.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
For an intank pump the absolute best was the OEM GM factory efi tank used on the 84-87 turbo Regals and the 84-88 tbi 4.3 used in the Monte Carlo (and some Grand Prixs). NOS ones are impossible to find.
Next would be the Spectra replacement for the above models.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I have a spectra tank and it seems really well made. its not in the car yett, but definitly better than the 30 year old one that was in it.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I should add that the GM tank baffle is enormous compared to the Spectra. The Spectra looks like a pie plate in comparison. I actually cut my original GM tank up as it was Rusty but saved the baffle. I can take a picture to demonstrate.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Ditto on the spectra tank. The regal turbo or EFI monte is what you want.

You have a monte so the monte tank with neck should drop in.

I put a turbo regal tank in my GP and bought a neck less tank and de-soldered the neck from the old carb'ed tank and had a rad shop in town solder the old neck to the new tank since there is reports the new tanks have insufficient venting and the necks are different between year and model so a monte tank wouldnt end up in the right spot. Its cheaper to ship too and the rad shop charged maybe $30 so it was the same cost as with the neck new but I didnt have the vent or fitment problems.

Doing anything but a spectra tank (going something like a tanks inc or other "drop in" solution is just a excuse to spend money you dont need to and put it in someone else's pocket. It provides virtually no benefit.

Rock auto had the best price on the EFI tank sender (walbro 400 or similar drops in) and unless you go multiple pumps for a boosted setup a factory turbo or EFI monte sender fits great. Some ebay seller had free shipping a few years back so I bought it from there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
As stated above the best tank is the oe GM tank. Spectra tanks are good but I'd recommend getting it without the filler neck and have a rad shop transfer your original over. The fill necks on the spectra tanks suck as they don't seem to be vented correctly and it takes forever to put gas in unless you modify them, I found that out the hard way when I did the efi conversion on my Grand Prix.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I have a tanksinc tank, it has a super nice powdercoat finish. you can also get it with the "floatless" type sending unit. one thing to be aware of with these tanks is that they only work with aftermarket pumps.

also in my research before buying, it looked to me like the tanksinc and holley tanks are exactly the same, just different branding.

below is the link to what i got, i am on the 67-72trucksforum and used their "tax time sale" discount for the forum members

http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/d5299_Fuel_Tanks_for_EFI___LS_Swap.html

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor