Best front end changes for high speed stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
if you want a G body to handle you need to start with a boxed frame, frame braces ,new body mount bushings, new control arm bushing. You also need to lower the car and use tall ball joints is required to get your front upper control arm ball joint above the cewnter point of the arc so the camber increases as you compress the suspension. With the stock set up the control arm is pointing down so as youn compress the suspension the top of the tire goes out give you positive camber before it starts to give you the negative chamber that you need in a corner

The lower arm should do the same though and win the battle being longer. Or is there dissimilar geometry between upper and lower? My car is 20 minutes away.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The lower arm should do the same though and win the battle being longer. Or is there dissimilar geometry between upper and lower? My car is 20 minutes away.

the lower needs to be point down so when the suspension is compressed the lower goes out increasing the negative chamber....also if you have the lower pointing up your lower will bind on the frame when the suspension is compressed

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
How does a rear frame brace aid steering?

I assume the rear brace reduces frame flex which keeps the rear wheels in better alignment to the front which promotes better tracking. Without the brace, the rear is like a big tuning fork. My CVPI has a similar brace from the factory for a reason. The guy who came up with adding adding a rear frame brace, Jeff, commented he experienced improved steering after adding one, as have I.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice! I will look into what needs changed when I do my brakes, in a month or so. I also know I need to go ahead and get the V8 front springs put under there, which is also likely contributing to the problem.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I assume the rear brace reduces frame flex which keeps the rear wheels in better alignment to the front which promotes better tracking. Without the brace, the rear is like a big tuning fork. My CVPI has a similar brace from the factory for a reason. The guy who came up with adding adding a rear frame brace, Jeff, commented he experienced improved steering after adding one, as have I.

you would not see a difference testing it with the feel of the car.....you could only tell if it inproved the handling with before and after time trials on a road course.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
While the vehicle needs to be in good shape and many of the things people have mentioned will help, most of the issue is aerodynamics. I would try to control the air going thru the grill, over the car, and more importantly under the nose of the car. Easiest would be to lower the front, next would be to add a splitter under the bumper to force the air around the car instead of underneath it. JMO

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
While the vehicle needs to be in good shape and many of the things people have mentioned will help, most of the issue is aerodynamics. I would try to control the air going thru the grill, over the car, and more importantly under the nose of the car. Easiest would be to lower the front, next would be to add a splitter under the bumper to force the air around the car instead of underneath it. JMO
I would love to see a splitter or air damn for the front of g bodies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Im planning on it

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor