Best header gaskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
The copper ones suck. No joke. The aluminum ones are better. They seal better and unless you run it hot all the time they won't burn out. As far as the ports go you look at the heads and the gaskets and you can see the difference. 305 heads are most likely round. Square ports are usually high performance high flow heads.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Depending on the style gasket you choose you would really want to match the header flange more than the exhaust port, as long as there is enough surface area on the head for the gasket to seal and not block the exhaust port, it is fine if the gasket is larger or different shaped as long as it matches that criteria.
Remember it is the header flange that is compressing the gasket to the head and if you use an embossed gasket it is more important for this to match because that is were the seal is made.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
10ge1xs.jpg
cqknk.jpg

Head looks rounded square, header looks oval.....watcha think?
Edit. No idea why pics are orientated that way.....

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you have those headers installed already on your engine and if so what were the previous style gasket used?

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
The round gasket is what will work for you. The square is way bigger. If you use the embossed copper gaskets don't over tighten them or they will distort and leak.

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
I would suggest lock tight on the bolts. You don't have to pay me any mind but I have dealt with a few sets of headers. And I am still learning as well.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Never had a copper gasket fail or leak. Any gasket can leak if not installed properly. Also never had one that couldn't be reused over and over and over.......

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Did you have those headers installed already on your engine and if so what were the previous style gasket used?

Nooo, they came left in the car(81 Cutlass) that I pulled the frame from for my car. No idea what motor was in it...assumed chevy. I did just check sizing....the heads measure 1.25" square, while the headers measure 1.25"wide X 1.5"high. Does that screw me?

I would suggest lock tight on the bolts. You don't have to pay me any mind but I have dealt with a few sets of headers. And I am still learning as well.

Appreciate the ideas kyle, helps me think things thru.... I do have a set with lock washers, so hope they'll be ok.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I was hoping for that too truracer.....I may get lucky and hit it right the first time, but I know me better than that ;)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would measure the gasket surface area on the head from top to bottom if the raised portion of the header flange sits on this area you should be fine with the correct gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor