Best header gaskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Input or discussion...

I have need of new header manifold and collector gaskets. Any recommendations on some good ones that are easy to install but also seal well the first time and last?

Tips, tricks to make things simpler? Seems simple enough a task but I tend to underestimate everything...

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I use copper header gaskets only and look for the embossed ones if they fit the application, this style keeps tension on the headers bolts so they don't come loose and they conform well to imperfections and don't blow or burn out.
Then when it comes time for collector gaskets my preference is dead soft aluminum ones.

Reactions: 2 users

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I use copper header gaskets only and look for the embossed ones if they fit the application, this style keeps tension on the headers bolts so they don't come loose and they conform well to imperfections and don't blow or burn out.
Then when it comes time for collector gaskets my preference is dead soft aluminum ones.

Good info, thank you. Any sense in brand loyalty? They are Hooker competition headers, so would it make any sense to see if they have a copper gasket to match?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I usually use SCE brand but other quality brands should work just fine, I recently bought some Flatout copper header gaskets for an unusual SBC d-port to an oval shaped header port and they match up well.

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
I never had much luck with the copper ones. Every time you turn around someone was trying to steal them.

Naw just kidding. But I like the aluminum ones also.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I like the copper for both.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I guess both copper and aluminum are good in that they can take the heat, maybe copper more so, but they are both also soft enough to conform and seal nicely?
Just another confirmation question, these heads look to have square exhaust ports, slightly rounded in the corners....they are just stock 86 chevy 305 heads. Am I right that they are in fact square ports? Do you guys know for sure?

Thx for the input so far!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've had good luck over the years with Mr Gasket Ultra seal gaskets.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rick, there should be no difference in 305 port size and shape. As far as I know, it's the big block Chevys that get into oval or square ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor