Best shocks for G-Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Click my little photos button for some ideas. Its not great but you will get the idea. Some guys have great photo sections many have cool build ups and nothing in their photos section. :blam:

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
ok , ill try to do that before week end
tonight I dismantle my damn shuddering NAG 1 transmission ! ( third time t/c changed ,this time ,i rebuild it all)

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
I have OEM style Monroe shocks in my 84 cutlass. I don't mind the ride height, but the shocks all around suck. I have been looking at the edelbrock ias and the bilsteins and I'm as lost as you are. hotchkis recommends the bilsteins, but their full setup is utilizes the lowering springs along with drop spindles and a-arms in front. I have stock suspension in the front, just an aftermarket sway bar. My rear is setup with all hotchkis stuff with stock springs. I am leaning more towards the bilsteins though...solely because when I think of edelbrock, I don't think of suspension.

87z16

Not-quite-so-new-guy
personally i have KYB's on my 85 and love the ride out here in LI. but my friend in queens has the BILSTEINS cause the KYB's r to stiff for the city. if cost is a factor then KYB's r the way.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
then biilsteins are softer then KYB`s forget it then , i find the KYB too smooth !

79T-top

Apprentice
Oct 5, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
87z16 said:
the Bilsteins are firm compared to the bone jarring KYB's. it seems like they have better valving and adjust better to what/how u drive.

Since I'm rebuilding my suspension while there is snow on the ground this year I'm searching for some shocks. ...but, just like everyone else especially in these times, I'm on a budget. I have been considering getting the Bilstien because of all the positive reviews but they're towards the upper end of my budget, but since I work at a dealership I can get a HUGE discount on KYB gas-a-just so I'm drawn to them because of price.

So I'm at a fork in the road. I won't be racing my car, just a cruiser. I do care about ride comfort but I am lowering it so I fully accept the inevitable of losing some ride quality. So do the Bilstien's make such a big difference from the KYB gas-a-just that its worth 3x the cost (considering I can't get a discount on the bilstiens through my work)?

Will the gas-a-just offer a better ride then OEM spec shocks?

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
i have always run gabriel or monroe sensitrac, i like both but the gabriel are a much nicer ride, just my 2 cents

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Somethings I go cheap as it really doesn't matter. IMO you won't regret getting the Bilsteins especially if you actually plan to take it places and put miles on in it. I bought a pair of the KYBs years ago and did not like the harsh ride.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Corey said:
Since I'm rebuilding my suspension while there is snow on the ground this year I'm searching for some shocks. ...but, just like everyone else especially in these times, I'm on a budget. I have been considering getting the Bilstien because of all the positive reviews but they're towards the upper end of my budget, but since I work at a dealership I can get a HUGE discount on KYB gas-a-just so I'm drawn to them because of price.

So I'm at a fork in the road. I won't be racing my car, just a cruiser. I do care about ride comfort but I am lowering it so I fully accept the inevitable of losing some ride quality. So do the Bilstien's make such a big difference from the KYB gas-a-just that its worth 3x the cost (considering I can't get a discount on the bilstiens through my work)?

Will the gas-a-just offer a better ride then OEM spec shocks?

there are lots of people that like the KYB and if you can get them for huge discount then why not try them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor