in the Desert!
Re: BEST WAY TO DEGREASE ENGINE WITH PUT SPENDING ALOT OF $

Purple power works good too.

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa

Is the motor in or out. Either way go to Dollar Tree and buy the product called Awesome. It comes in a clear spray bottle and costs you guessed it one dollar. Just spray it on get a soft brush or a tooth brush and scrub as much as you can then spray it off. Power washer works best. Will not take paint off but will get rid of grease and oil. If you want to take paint off then use oven cleaner and a wire brush. B4 you do this take aluminum foil and wrap the distributor and top of carb and you will be good. If engine is out then use painters tape on the exhaust ports, intake, distributor hole and possible valve cover breather and pvc hole. Good luck and you will get dirty. :lol: After cleaning you can use laquer thinner in a spray bottle to do a final cleaning and then it is ready for painting. There is no need to get all the paint of it just needs to be clean. Also laquer thinner will take the paint of if you need it off. Good Luck! I have done this a lot of times.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA

87chevyboy said:
should i pull the pan incase some water gets in the block

no, just be careful and you will be fine duct tape a plastic bag over the carb if you are that worried and check the valve cover gromets. if you are truly worried you can do an oil change after but it shouldn't be necessary.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado

melman109 said:
v2vera said:
Purple power works good too.

X2

x3 :mrgreen: that sh*t cleans pistons as well, though it also ate away the skin on my fingers :shock: but everything else i cleaned with it came out awesome.Just mask everything, let it soak good and pressure wash away! I recently did a rebuild on my 2000 Jeep GC's 4.7 and used it quite a bit on the pistons, engine bay, block etc etc..i have pics in the other laptop it was work the extra work and was cleaner when reinstalling everything plus it looks new!

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011

purple power works better than engine cleaner for sure (and the motor doesn't have to be hot to use it)... just cover up all the vitals, like someone else said, spray let it sit, if you want use a toothbrush, or wire, depending on the part your painting, the hose off, dry off, or let dry, scrape all flaking paint off, if any, prime the block up with engine primer and spray the color your looking for with engine paint...give or take a few things

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA

My old blocks I would put them in the bed of a truck and bring to a car wash. Or just drive your car their. The ones with the bays to clean yourself. Then i would powerwash the hell out of it. I usually bring purple power and the orange gunk remover with me. The car wash I go to actually has an "Engine Cleaner" on there nozzle setting.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH

I'd suggest brake cleaner, purple power, wire brushes, pressure washer, and lots of elbow grease.
That thing will be spotless.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

If it's out of the car I get one of those big cheap cement mixing tubs at Home Depot and clean it first in that with a solvent and brush and chipper/scraper to get the thick crud off. Kerosene or diesel fuel works well and is safe. After the worst is off, then I use a cleaner like Oil Eater or Simple Green with a brush. THEN I hit it with the power washer using a mix of cleaner and soap. This will get it sparkling and remove most if not all the paint too. I stuff all openings with rags then duct tape them shut.

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa

Ok if you want something that doesn't take alot of elbow grease go to a paint store and get aircraft paint remover. I would suggest wearing gloves cause it burns the skin if you get it on ya and don't ask how I know :lol: . This stuff will take grease and paint right off just let it sit a few minutes and spray it off. It comes in a can that you can just spray on or a paint can that you can brush on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor