Best way to recolor trim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well I got the black leather seats for my Olds so I need to plan on changing the color of the trim pieces on the interior of my car including the dash. Now I know the best way would more than likely be to buy new pieces in the colors that I want. Problem is I'm building this on a budget so that is out.

I know that there are products out there that can be used to paint these pieces though I'm sure some are better than others. Also is there a preferred way to prep all of the pieces so that you get the best coverage?

Basically my interior will be a combination of black and gray with brushed aluminum trim. The car is currently that ugly light brown color.

Is there anyway to recolor the full door panels fabric sections and all?

Carpet will be replaced with new. Oh which reminds me is there aftermarket trunk pads/carpets available for a reasonable price?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Hmm...black and grey with brushed aluminum trim huh? Sounds kinda familiar.
100_0144.jpg

I used Duplicolor's Vinyl and Fabric paint(kinda cheap way of doing it), but from what I hear SEM stuff is better.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Holy smokes that looks good! Can you show me what you did for your door panels?

where did you get the stuff to do all of this? Someplace like NAPA or is there a less expensive place to get it?

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 208
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I like SEM products the best myself, and have used them on various pieces inside my car. (in fact, I am doing some more today!)The down side is that they will get scratched and reveal the color of the plastic beneath. If your panels are really chalky and dried out, this will happen fairly often, so it is best to start with panels in good physical condition. Anyhow, I will caution you that you need to clean the hell out of them with some Simple Green and scrub them lightly with a green kitchen scrub pad as well. I would follow that up with a little bit of prep solvent on a rag to soften the plastic and promote adhesion. Any carpeted sections need to be scrubbed clean with a brush first, then hosed out and allowed to dry. As for the Velour, I don't know what to tell you. Depending on which upper panels you have, the best choice may be to get some black vinyl and redo them. The easiest ones to upholster would probably be the Cutlass Brougham/Salon deluxe uppers as they only have a piece of fabric glued to some foam and then glued to the board. The pull strap panel then bolts on top of that and squishes it down. Eliminate the emblem and it would look pretty generic.

As for where to get SEM, I get it at my local Finishmaster auto body supply store. I buy it in quarts, pints, gallons, etc. to be sprayed from a gun (I paid $50 for a quart of dark blue 2 days ago.).You will need at least a quart to do the job, but it may take two. It may also come in a spray can, but I am really not sure. I would also tell you that you should have the dye matched to the interior trim code of the Grand Prix donor car, and not just a generic black. Most 90's cars used some kind of charcoal color and not pure black, so the seats would probably look slightly lighter than the rest of the interior if you used a generic black. I would do the same when ordering the carpet kit. The headliner will probably just end up black as the color choices for headliner materials can tend to be quite limited. Here's a little tip for ya: Look through the Sunday paper, and the fliers that come in the mail for the Jo-Ann Fabrics ads. They sometimes have a 40% off on all yardage coupon, which is a substantial savings. I paid $20 for 3 yards of headliner fabric. You would need that, plus about a yard of black vinyl to do the job. Get about 3 cans of 3M general purpose upholstery glue from Wal Mart at a cost of $10 each. I would also go ahead and buy about a yard of 1/4 in thick open cell foam to complete the doors as well.

For the trunk, What I am doing is buying a bulk roll of cheap carpet in either dark gray or black for $10, and then gluing some jute sound deadener to it with the 3M contact cement. It will then be cut to size using an original trunk mat as a pattern. For complete trunk kits, you can either roll your own (I am going that route because I am poor), or buy one from one of our vendors. There is one vendor at the bottom of the forum index that specializes in them. It looks like some nice stuff, and the price is not bad when you consider how much time it would take to make it all yourself. If you do plan to build all your own panels, expect to spend 5-10 hours getting everything just perfect. The floor carpet is an easy project to do yourself and will take about an hour or so if you do it my way. It is the side and back panels that take the most time.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
rebelgtp said:
Holy smokes that looks good! Can you show me what you did for your door panels?

where did you get the stuff to do all of this? Someplace like NAPA or is there a less expensive place to get it?

Thank you. Nothing really special on the door panels. I got all my stuff from Advance Auto when I worked there. It won't hold up forever though, so keep that in mind. My interior was blue, now its all black except for the arm rests in the door and the carpet and headliner, which is charcoal.
100_0369.jpg

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Very nice. I figured it would be a good way to improve the look on the cheap until I can save up for an appropriate interior.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Pretty much what I was thinking when I did mine.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I found some of the Dupli Color stuff at my local Napa so I figured I would give that a shot. Can it be used to recolor the headliner as well? Basically anything plastic/vinyl will get recolored in black and cloth will be redone in gray (including carpet and hopefully headliner).

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I did do my headliner but it took a lot! And so far everytime something rubs it some of the paint comes off. I think it would have been better if I had bought more instead of trying to stretch what I had.

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
I'm painting the dash in my '94 Chevy Pick Up and I'm using normal automotive paint with a flex agent in it... Of course my dash is smoothed out and primed, so are the door panels and the other 4 pieces of interior plastic.. The seat is at the upholstery shop getting wrapped in black leather with tuck n' roll inserts. And my carpet is just your basic black carpet...

I would say though if your just looking for something easy and cheap the SEM paint is very good... I wouldn't paint the headliner or carpet though... And there are actually quite a few colors for headliner material... Or there is suede, that's what my headliner is in my truck, black suede. A bit expensive but I like it.

And remember clean the hell out of everything!!!! Wax and Grease remover and a scotch brite pad work wonders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor