Best way to remove weatherstrip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsfds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 24, 2009
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove the weatherstrip from the upper door opening window retainers? There is a lip on them where the old weatherstrip is glued underneth that makes it difficult to get all of it out. I would rather not have to buy new ones if I can still use these for they are very expensive.

Thanks
Everette

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
i was wondering the same thing but i just ripped it off with my hands it came pretty clean with a little bit of scrapping

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
can you buy new retainers? I know what you mean I'm dreading that process also as I need to buy all new weather stripping for my doors also. I was thinking of making my own retainers out of black prefinished alumimum at work using the break and bending up my own, it seems it'd work but I don't know

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Bite the bullet and buy some new window seals.

You're not getting those out in good enough shape for them to be worth reusing.

Carefully peel the old weather strip out as best you can. After that, start scraping away with a screw driver to clean out the lip on the edge. You'll also want to invest in a can of 3M adheisive remover.

It takes some time to get them all cleaned out, but it's not too bad of a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor