Best way to start an engine that sat for twenty years

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is really sweet looking ride. You son will be lucky to have that car when he gets older. It's great to have the kids get their hands dirty working on a car so they know when they drive it if they abuse it they will be the ones fixing it. Teaches them a little respect for the car.

next time you are ready to turn the engine over pour some transmission fluid down the carb, that will lube up the top end.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow what a find! Ditto all the above advice but really, get rid of the old fuel. If you just can't wait (wink wink nod nod) you can get an outboard motor 6 gallon gas tank and run the fuel line to the fuel pump intake fitting. Once you are sure the motor is sound then start the chore of cleaning the mud out of the gas tank. You might even consider sending it out to a radiator shop for a boil out, or just get a new one. Old gas is super bad.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Brake fluid? I might use motor flush to wash that out of the piston rings and oil pan, then relube the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil. Change the oil, boot 'er up, then change the oil again fairly soon after.

That's a nice clean body - with T-tops!

Those look like Minnesota plates, '10,000 Lakes' style, to me.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
Oh, man I love that car! But, I may be slightly biased...

Great GREAT find!

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
I keep pinching myself. 62,000 miles, one owner, bought locally, original spare, jack, radio, etc, original paint. Parked in a dry shed since 1996. Every last emission hose is intact. This is one of those finds you only read about

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
My experience with a 20 years-sitting 12K mile car was that the cooling system was a mess, despite it being full of green coolant. Flushed it, new coolant, new radiator. Filled the radiator with sediment in a very short time. Pulled radiator, sent to rad shop to clean it....twice more. That's a long time for scale and rust to build up. It was fine after the third flush/rodding of radiator and block. Just something to bear in mind. I would highly recommend pulling the block drains to see what comes out, along with the other suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor