Big Wiper Issue.. Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnarmymp552

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2009
US Army
So my wipers went out on my 84 H/O. I noticed the ground strap was broken on the wiper motor so I purchased and replaced the wiper motor. Wiper still didn't work. I pulled the motor out and checked the switch and all the wires on the column switch on and off like they should. I thought the problem could be the pulse board, so I ordered a spankin' new one from Monster Auto Parts. Plugged it all in and it doesn't work. I pulled the whole thing off and checked the wires again and they switch correctly, then I thought to check the wires when it was plugged in. Instead of the wires showing "off" and switching to positive with the wiper switch to turn on the motor, they all show positive when the motor is plugged in??? So Is it a bad motor or pulse board? They are both brand new??!! Any suggestions?

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
I haven't tackled it yet on a GM (mice ate my whole wiper harness) but the ground strap is a very common issue on the Mopars. I've owned 3 cars and known half a dozen others that were diagnosed as needing a new wiper motor, when a simple ground strap solved the problem. If in doubt, run an auxilary strap from the motor casing to the body or frame of the car. This is also a big help on alternators. ;)

Johnarmymp552

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2009
US Army
yes i did fix the ground strap. The ground strap is a small brass strap bolted to the housing and affixes to a bolt. I have checked the strap with a test light and it shows ground.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Have you tried connecting direct power to the motor to see if it works?

Here is a link to another forum. This person was having problems with the wipers, its not the same problem as you, but you might be able to get some info out of it.

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32500

Johnarmymp552

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2009
US Army
Ok, so I tried the wires with just the motor plugged in, and the motor just makes a click sound and nothing else. So, I think the motor is bad. We will have to find out tomorrow.

I thought this forum would have some guys who knew a little more of g-bodies. I am a little disappointed.

Thanks for the link though, not too much help for my prob., but thanks.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Can we please not try to fill all the slots with the same exact post?

Johnarmymp552

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 6, 2009
US Army
well I am trying to get help with this, and it falls under all the areas I posted it in. I am just really trying to get some help. Sorry, but I thought that is what a forum for a specific type of vehicle can be used for.

david

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2008
fallon,nv
wiper diagram

you can not fix a electrical problem with out a electrical diagram purchase a repair manually with electrical diagrams and follow the diagrams for powers grounds and switch. if you can't understand a wiring diagram than its over your head and you need to hire or find a friend that does, on the internate alldata or mitchell on demand have diagrams but they will cost you i have a gm manual for a 84 buick i can see if i can find it and help you if you can get some kind of wiring diagram

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Johnarmymp552 said:
well I am trying to get help with this, and it falls under all the areas I posted it in. I am just really trying to get some help. Sorry, but I thought that is what a forum for a specific type of vehicle can be used for.

Hey, just so you know, I have no problem with you. You just don't need to post the same thing multiple times. The first time you post it it shows up for everybody to respond to. Hope you figure out your problem man good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor