Biggest battery ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

468373rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2018
What is the largest battery that will fit the stock battery tray ? My car was a V6 car so I already broke the plastic tab in the tray for a bigger battery. Also , are you using bigger cable ? I have #2 ga. also some 1/0.I don't know how big side post terminals will allow. Or go top post ? Winter project for 455 swap in spring.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
For physical size a size 75 is the standard size, the size 78 is the optional bigger battery. I would go with either one with the CCA that would meet your cranking needs instead of physical size.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have #2 ga. also some 1/0.I don't know how big side post terminals will allow. Or go top post ?
I always make my own 1/0 battery cables and you can get 1/0 lugs with mounting holes as small as 1/4" .

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Take a look at the AGM (glass mat) battery. Optima is the best-known brand. I had one the G8 that was 9 years old and still cranked fine. You can often get a dual-terminal-style battery that gives you the option to use either (both) threaded or clamp cable ends.

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Funny, I have been running Optima's for years, and have recently had a sting of real bad luck with them. I've been looking for alternatives, like XSpower or something along those lines. I too make my own cables.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Funny, I have been running Optima's for years, and have recently had a sting of real bad luck with them. I've been looking for alternatives, like XSpower or something along those lines. I too make my own cables.

I have used an XSpower battery and it worked great. The company had great customer support as well

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have used an XSpower battery and it worked great. The company had great customer support as well
They dont make a group 75 or 78, so I have to decide on one if I go that route.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They dont make a group 75 or 78, so I have to decide on one if I go that route.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have my battery in the trunk. I was using the D925 to cut down on the weight. It worked really well starting the car but if you choose to use a sound system with the car off the battery will last about 2 summers. It is now in a race car still working great and it will start an engine that is extremely hot.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
2 gauge cable should be enough for the short run you have. A group 78 is the large factory battery. I ran 1/0 cable in the race car with an Odyssey battery. Had no issues cranking over the 15:1 565.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor