Blazer brakes vs oversized metric calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I always heard that Blazer brakes were a decent upgrade for G bodies, especially if keeping 15 inch rims. However, I have recently read several people saying that the oversized metric calipers are the better upgrade with mord clamping force and stronger wheel bearings, though it keeps the PITA integral rotor hub combo. I have even seen claims that Blazer brakes do not stop any better than stock G body brakes due to having shorter radial height. Anyone with more input into this?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I've done LS1 brakes on a stock G body spindle and the blazer setup both on different cars.

Both are better than the stock setup. Blazer setup is better than a stock G body stup and the LS1 setup is significantly better. I have no numbers but I can say 100% that the swap from stock to blazer on my wagon was an imporvement.

I have nothing to comment on with B body setup as I have never done it.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
If you drive like its 1979, then stock brakes are perfect. Remember to use those asbestos brake pads, you know, the ones that never fade if you never go over 10 mph.
All kidding aside
I have still have those on two of my cars, only one fades. And its still scares me. I would change them out but but i can't get blazer hubs with 7/16x20 studs.
I too have swapped to blazer brakes on the G wagon. And on my tan calais i swapped to vette c4 hd units, then to c5 units. Yes there is a marked improvement. I haven't auto crossed the vette brakes but i have beat the snot out of them on the street as well as towing 3500lbs plus. No fading, pulling or smells.
Blazer brakes are thicker and larger in diameter, which means more heat sink material which in turn gives you better heat dissipation. But not all 15 rims will fit them. So measure twice before installing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when I had stock G body brakes I spent a few dollars on EBC pads and new rotors, broke the breaks in as per instruction and the breaking was so much better I use EBC pads on every brake set up I'd had in the GP since then. I don't use any drilled rotor, they do not stop any faster as there is no gas building up between the pads and rotor

• Informative

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I was doing some searching on specifics for the Blazer brake swaps. One thing I've seen mentioned is concern about the hubs. Doing a google search for 'hub upgrade' on these just leads to discussions about the various ways to upgrade to big-brake set-ups.

Does anyone know if there is an upgraded hub for the Blazer brake set-up? If someone is buying new hubs, they might as well spend the money for the best available parts vs. generic replacements.

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017
Both options are an improvement over stock. Not personally a fan of the unit bearing design on a car that will be abused (driven). Dollar for dollar go with the larger circle track caliper. Use aggressive pads and parts store warranty rotors. Big brakes are easy with either hub.

Last edited:

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I was doing some searching on specifics for the Blazer brake swaps. One thing I've seen mentioned is concern about the hubs. Doing a google search for 'hub upgrade' on these just leads to discussions about the various ways to upgrade to big-brake set-ups.

Does anyone know if there is an upgraded hub for the Blazer brake set-up? If someone is buying new hubs, they might as well spend the money for the best available parts vs. generic replacements.
Unless there’s some off-road specialty style hub, I doubt it. And even using those would require dust caps being put into the splines (which I’m sure even my 2wd hubs have, need to check).

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY

Just get quality replacement parts, like Timken hub assemblies. For vehicles that I care about, that's all that I use.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Just get quality replacement parts, like Timken hub assemblies. For vehicles that I care about, that's all that I use.
Timken, Moog, & SKF were the units I knew of that I would consider as top-tier but just like other parts that can interchange, I wondered if the hubs were possibly similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor