Blazer question / gm question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I know where some wrecked late 90s v6 blazers can be found. What trans is it, I have heard ppl disagree 'its a 700r4' or 'its a '4l60e' well 1st off which is it, 2nd of all can I rebuild it to fit my 93 Brougham w/ an L05 which has a 4l60e right now? *Btw, Yes my car originally had the 700r4 but was switched to 4l60e later and I'm sure bc it takes 10w30

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Up until mid 90's, ( 93 if I remeber right) the 700's were used. After that GM switched to the 4L60E. If you are talking about the Blazers with a 4.3L I would think it would bolt to you LO5.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
The 700R4 was renamed 4L60 sometime in the early 90's. This evolved into the 4L60E when it became electronically controlled. The difference is the TV cable or lack of one. A 700R4 or 4L60 will use a TV cable, a 4L60E will not. Check and see if you have a TV cable or not and stick with a likewise unit for your replacement.

GM's transmission naming format:
4 = number of forward speeds
L = longitudal or lengthwise (T = transverse)
60 = a torque rating of some sort, I don't know where they came up with this figure...
E = electronically controlled

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
pencero said:
I know where some wrecked late 90s v6 blazers can be found. What trans is it, I have heard ppl disagree 'its a 700r4' or 'its a '4l60e' well 1st off which is it, 2nd of all can I rebuild it to fit my 93 Brougham w/ an L05 which has a 4l60e right now? *Btw, Yes my car originally had the 700r4 but was switched to 4l60e later and I'm sure bc it takes 10w30

Essentially both, however late 90's would be 4l60e. My biggest question is are you saying that you know you have a 4l60E because it takes 10w30 engine oil? And switching from a 700r4 to a 4l60E isn't super easy because the computer wouldn't be ready to control it.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Ok I think you guys are just interested in me explaining further what's the deal. I got a 93 Brougham 3 years ago for $4,000
It was in immaculate shape and had obviously been garage kept its whole 1st owner life. It had a 700r4 w/ the manual valve body and it shifted fine, but I parked the car for a while and my father sent it to the shop outside my knowledge bc he secretly had developed an attachment to the car - it reminded him of his 1st car a lincoln mark iv back in like 1968. The mechanic said the engine had valve body problems and was near the end of it's life, and he didn't like the aftermarket radiator that was on the car and said that it was chinese garbage. He borrowed the engine/trans/ AND radiator from a 93 Brougham that was manufactured later in the same year.

I guess a few months after my fleetwood rolled off the line gm had advanced to the 4l60e because it is not the same trans that was in the car when I bought it. I asked my dad about it right away when he showed me the car after having it worked on. I immediately noticed that the oil cap was on the opposite side! I bought 5w30 and went to top it off one day, and the new cap said 10w30 so I said 'Wtf?' to myself and called my mechanic right away to make sure it wasn't just a spare cap that he had put on there and I was ready to put the 5w30 in on that assumption and he said 'no that particular trans just happens to take 10w30'

its been two years and I drove the car 10,000 miles but the oil leaks kind of bad so I use 10w40 top top it off, although of course not for the oil change itself just 10w30 high mileage. The car shifted perfectly at first but has developed a bit of a delay shifting out of 1st gear to 2nd gear sometimes. When I first turn the car on it doesn't want to shift for about 5 minutes til it is warm then shifts perfectly fine except for that occasional stutter 1st to 2nd. I'm sure I can drive it like this for a year or two but I'd like to build a fresh trans on the side in the meantime. I asked about the blazer bc I'm aware of ppl w/ blazers that were nearly totaled in bashes or trans is bad. I would rather build a unit on the side since mine still works and would prefer to use the 700r4 since it doesnt require a computer, then I wanted to elminate my computer because it has made a few errors that really turned me off and I'm sure it will eventually fail in extreme weather. The car doesn't even have a tachometer or temp gauge so I would like to add those things manually below the ash tray. I would only need MPH to get the car back on the road bc it will pass inspection since it didn't even have gauges stock. Can a 4l60e be built for use w/o an ECM or should I just grab a 700r4? And I'm assuming I'd have to grab the 700r4 out of a pre 1993 Blazer then? The blazers I knew about are 96-00 blazers.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vx-apMMMvo

thats the car I was trying to sell it until a few weeks ago bc no garage this winter. Everyone that ever was 'going to buy the car' never followed through so I've decided to see what it might cost me to redo the drivetrain on it so everything is newer mechanically.

On a side note I'm disappointed to hear that they really 'upgraded' to the 4l60e on the 96-00 blazer is that really true? I was totally hoping it was 700r4... I didnt actually know where any box blazers are right now so that's really annoying if so. I was only targeting the 'blazer' specifically since its such a worthless vehicle that I figure I could get someone to give up their trans for super cheap or maybe this acquiantence of mine w/ the smashed truck would just give it to me for free so... thats basically what I was looking @ trying to do. I was pretty sure he would hook me up w it or doesnt even know its worth any $$$ (the guy is rich idk y he drives a blazer he could drive a benze anyway lol) :p

Obviously I'm in the market for a cheap 700r4 I had a 200r4 from a monte carlo @ someone's house for this project and it was at a friends house of mine but is gone now. He scrapped it bc he didn't realize I wanted to have it rebuilt so it was an honest mistake on his part but I want to get a replacement for that. The 700r4 is the better choice obviously I don't even know if that trans would have been doable in this car I hadn't even done that research yet at the point it came up missing, so now Im just looking for the factory correct choice to replace this thing. Anyway I want to eliminate the computer bc I don't plan on driving the car much anymore so it may very well sit for extended periods of time in the future

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Maybe I missed something here, but I would like you to clarify a couple of things here. Exactly what kind of car do you have with the weak transmission? Is it a G body, or is it something else? Did this car get an engine swap? Was the engine swapped out of the Brougham? By Brougham, do you mean a Cadillac Brougham? What year was the Brougham? Were you really running 10W30 engine oil in an automatic transmission? If so, that may be at least part of the reason why you're looking for a transmission now. Automatic transmissions are meant to use the correct type of automatic transmission fluid for the particular unit that you have. Automatic transmission fluid is formulated differently than engine oil. Its usually lower viscosity (thinner), and has a higher detergent level. Clearances in the valve body of most automatic transmissions can be in ten thousands of an inch, so any kind of fluid that's thicker than transmission fluid can eventually harm the transmission.
At any rate, if you're looking for a transmission, you should try to find a transmission which matches the one that you're trying to replace. Installing a mismatched transmission will probably lead to the necessity for more modifications, and probably lead to more problems. If all else fails, I would consult someone knowledgeable, maybe talk to a local transmission shop to see if they can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
pencero said:
Ok I think you guys are just interested in me explaining further what's the deal. I got a 93 Brougham 3 years ago for $4,000
It was in immaculate shape and had obviously been garage kept its whole 1st owner life. It had a 700r4 w/ the manual valve body and it shifted fine,Do you know for sure what a manual valve body is? They didn't come from the factory with them. but I parked the car for a while and my father sent it to the shop outside my knowledge bc he secretly had developed an attachment to the car - it reminded him of his 1st car a lincoln mark iv back in like 1968. The mechanic said the engine had valve body problems and was near the end of it's life,Engines don't have valve bodies. and he didn't like the aftermarket radiator that was on the car and said that it was chinese garbage. He borrowed the engine/trans/ AND radiator from a 93 Brougham that was manufactured later in the same year.

I guess a few months after my fleetwood rolled off the line gm had advanced to the 4l60e because it is not the same trans that was in the car when I bought it. Swapping from a non-computer controlled transmission to a computer controlled one would require more than just changing the transmission. The computer and harness would be needed as well. I asked my dad about it right away when he showed me the car after having it worked on. I immediately noticed that the oil cap was on the opposite side! I bought 5w30 and went to top it off one day, and the new cap said 10w30 so I said 'Wtf?' to myself and called my mechanic right away to make sure it wasn't just a spare cap that he had put on there and I was ready to put the 5w30 in on that assumption and he said 'no that particular trans just happens to take 10w30'Major issue here. The oil cap is just that. It's for ENGINE oil. Not transmission fliud, it has nothing to do with the transmission.

its been two years and I drove the car 10,000 miles but the oil leaks kind of bad so I use 10w40 top top it off, although of course not for the oil change itself just 10w30 high mileage. The car shifted perfectly at first but has developed a bit of a delay shifting out of 1st gear to 2nd gear sometimes. When I first turn the car on it doesn't want to shift for about 5 minutes til it is warm then shifts perfectly fine except for that occasional stutter 1st to 2nd. I'm sure I can drive it like this for a year or two but I'd like to build a fresh trans on the side in the meantime. I asked about the blazer bc I'm aware of ppl w/ blazers that were nearly totaled in bashes or trans is bad. I would rather build a unit on the side since mine still works and would prefer to use the 700r4 since it doesnt require a computer, then I wanted to elminate my computer because it has made a few errors that really turned me off and I'm sure it will eventually fail in extreme weather. The car doesn't even have a tachometer or temp gauge so I would like to add those things manually below the ash tray. I would only need MPH to get the car back on the road bc it will pass inspection since it didn't even have gauges stock. Can a 4l60e be built for use w/o an ECM or should I just grab a 700r4? And I'm assuming I'd have to grab the 700r4 out of a pre 1993 Blazer then? The blazers I knew about are 96-00 blazers.

I'm not even sure where to start on this. First off, get a new mechanic, either he's an idiot or you are having a difficult time understanding him. If your thinking that a transmission use 10w30, I really don't think you're up to building a transmission. Do you have any pics of the engine, especially around the throttle body?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
"Engine had valve body problems"? Your story is so disjointed and full of bad decisions I can't tell if this is a total lost cause or maybe your account has been troll-hacked.
-Yes, your car originally should have had a 700R4 (4L60) if it's truly a 1993. 1994-96 would have been 4L60E.
-Neither would have EVER used 10w30.
-The 700R4 only needs a computer for lockup function.
-The 4L60E won't do anything without a computer.
-There are at least 3 different length output shafts that I know of so I doubt that a 4X4 Blazer transmission will do you any good without totally disassembling it to replace it with the correct shaft for your car.
-If the car that the engine was "borrowed" from had a 4L60E it would have been bolted to an LT1 and have a completely different wiring harness, PCM and fuel system too.
This poor, poor car :doh: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor