Blazer Rear Sway Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
can that little bracket on the Gbody frame really hold up to the forces of having a sway bar on it? More looks like it would just flex up and down and eventually break

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
can that little bracket on the Gbody frame really hold up to the forces of having a sway bar on it? More looks like it would just flex up and down and eventually break
That was my first thought, as well.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I have had that rear bar on my GP for 4 or 5 years and I drive it hard, no bending or cracking. The front shocks pound the frame alot harder than the rear sway bar would and you don't see any cracks in the hole around the upper shock mount or the bolts on the lower control arm

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

I had considered welding a piece of angle iron in to reinforce it, but its kinda one of those around to it situations. Its more stiff than the factory bar so all the stress isnt just going to bending and it seems to have held up on mine for a year.

Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I have had that rear bar on my GP for 4 or 5 years and I drive it hard, no bending or cracking. The front shocks pound the frame alot harder than the rear sway bar would and you don't see any cracks in the hole around the upper shock mount or the bolts on the lower control arm
I had considered welding a piece of angle iron in to reinforce it, but its kinda one of those around to it situations. Its more stiff than the factory bar so all the stress isnt just going to bending and it seems to have held up on mine for a year.
That's good feedback from you guys. Now that you have proven the install will last, how do you guys feel about the performance of the Blazer sway bar?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That's good feedback from you guys. Now that you have proven the install will last, how do you guys feel about the performance of the Blazer sway bar?

I don't like how the Blazer bar interferes with the cover and the F body end links fit with stock hardware making it an easier install IMO. The other thing I don't know what the spring rate of the Blazer bar is. If the bar is to high it could upset the handling of the car. Like I mentioned I have two F body GTA bars that were designed to work together.

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
How does the blazer bar interfere with the cover? The photo of the one facing back is on a 4dr blazer. Mine tucks under the axle like a stock one or the f body one.

I have a "big" hollow 4th gen front bar and the 1" blazer rear bar. I autocrosses the car with old 17" tires and stock f41 bars last year and new 17" tires and big front and rear bars this year. It understeered a lot less but it's hard to pinpoint to what I did making a difference.

Really I put the blazer bar on for drag use, 3 g body serious auto cross guys have suggested disconnecting the rear bar since it allows the car to turn in and transfer weight better. Getting the bar off the lca's just let everything flex better during a launch and it loads the car instead of the bushings.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
How does the blazer bar interfere with the cover? The photo of the one facing back is on a 4dr blazer. Mine tucks under the axle like a stock one or the f body one.

I have a "big" hollow 4th gen front bar and the 1" blazer rear bar. I autocrosses the car with old 17" tires and stock f41 bars last year and new 17" tires and big front and rear bars this year. It understeered a lot less but it's hard to pinpoint to what I did making a difference.

Really I put the blazer bar on for drag use, 3 g body serious auto cross guys have suggested disconnecting the rear bar since it allows the car to turn in and transfer weight better. Getting the bar off the lca's just let everything flex better during a launch and it loads the car instead of the bushings.

what is the spring rate of the Blazer bar?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
what is the spring rate of the Blazer bar?

Id like to know.

I can compare it to the f body one, ws6 is 24mm and blazer is 1"/25.4mm.

Assuming the material is the same, it must be close but I have no data to back it up.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
2dr blazer points backwards and sits on the top of the axle, putting it on a G body moves it under the diff and points forward. A 4dr has the fuel tank in the spot behind the axle and the swaybar sits in a spot that doesn't work on a G body. 4wd and 2wd are the same from what I can tell.

A 3rd gen is good and fits BUT you have to heat and bend the ends inward since they flare out a few inches at the ends.

Stock blazer 2dr bar is 1" diameter.

View attachment 126726
View attachment 126727
mine came from a 2-door blazer and mounts like the photo here on my 81 malibu.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor