Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
The single reason I built OLDScool in the first place was to take extended road trips and carry my hotel room with me just behind the front seat. My most recent trip was from Aug 21 to Oct 4. I drove all the way up the Outer Banks then over to Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive. It was awesome! I'd never been to that part of America - it is beautiful up there. From top to bottom that portion was 740mi and I drove into tons of small towns and villages along the way. Places one would never see from the interstate or even major state highway. Really, really glad I was finally able to do this trip.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
The single reason I built OLDScool in the first place was to take extended road trips and carry my hotel room with me just behind the front seat. My most recent trip was from Aug 21 to Oct 4. I drove all the way up the Outer Banks then over to Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive. It was awesome! I'd never been to that part of America - it is beautiful up there. From top to bottom that portion was 740mi and I drove into tons of small towns and villages along the way. Places one would never see from the interstate or even major state highway. Really, really glad I was finally able to do this trip.

Very nice! I remember watching your balloon fest video as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Ed,
Good to see you putting some serious miles on the Cruiser...and taking in some beautiful scenery in the interim. I've always wanted to do the Skyline Drive route and also the Tail of the Dragon is on my list of scenic roadways.

Reactions: 2 users

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Oh, I did Tail of the Dragon...and others. I'll have that vid in a few days

Hey Ed,
Good to see you putting some serious miles on the Cruiser...and taking in some beautiful scenery in the interim. I've always wanted to do the Skyline Drive route and also the Tail of the Dragon is on my list of scenic roadways.

Reactions: 1 user

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013

That is awesome. I bought a place off the Skyline drive and end of the parkway in Western NC to get away from all the crazyness. The reason why everything is green is there are some areas that get plenty of rain second only to Washington State: Nantahala National Forest That lies adjacent to Cherokee land, the parkway and Smokey Mountain National Park.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Oh, I did Tail of the Dragon...and others. I'll have that vid in a few days
was going to ask if you'd done the tail while you were so close. we moved here to NC almost 30 years ago, and haven't had any regrets. we live almost northern center of the state, and can hit the beach, or the mountains in about the same amount of time. Tail of the dragon and blue ridge parkway is def bucket list material!

next time you get up this way, let me know, as there's a few of us up here. get eiter a group cruise going, or just a bite to eat with some local brews!

Reactions: 3 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
If anyone is planning to do US-129 "Tail of the Dragon" you should also hit the Cherohala Skyway too. I found the Cherohala to be a really fun road and there's less people on it too, camp/stay over in Tellico Plains and head over to the Cherohala and then on to the Tail of the Dragon. I used to go camping and spend a couple days riding my motorcycle around that area every summer when I used to live in New Orleans. I think I've done the Dragon 4 or 5 times (on as many different bikes too). I don't know how much fun it'd be in a car but it's a blast on a bike. As many times as I've ridden in that area (E. TN, W. NC, & N. GA) I've never been on the BRP mainly for fear of loosing my license due to the low speed limit (I think it's mostly 35mph). If you were to draw a triangle with Tellico TN, Suches GA & Maggie Valley NC being at the tip of each point you could spend days driving some great roads in that area.

I laughed my @$$ off when this episode of TG first aired.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I did 'Tail of the Dragon' as part of a Pro-Touring event (RTTM) years ago. We went up for a private dinner event @ a dining establishment. I was in a '02 CE TransAm w/275's @ all 4 corners & limited my speed vs most of the others. Awesome drive for sure.

I recently ran across this video of another 'late model' on it....

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I, personally, enjoyed the low speed limit on the parkway, but then I wasn't there to drive through as quickly as I could. I stayed at quite a few NPS campgrounds along the way and was at each for several days at a time just so I could venture out to the surrounding countryside. To be sure, there were people going faster than I - there was a Porsche car club one day, an MG club another day and so on. I would just pull into an overlook, let them by, give them plenty of lead time and enjoy an epic view. I was there to see and experience as much as possible without being concerned over someone driving up my tailpipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor