HELP BMR VS UMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
UMI Performance is pretty much my go to. Still waiting for that sponsorship to come through. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My experience with UMI is with my 1967 A body rear I needed a joint on the axle side of the lowers which was not available. UMI was very quick to accept my request for a modification to their lowers to add a Roto Joint to one end of their solid lower control arms. UMI did the mods and only charged me the extra cost of the Roto Joints in addtion to the cost of the lowers.

Reactions: 1 users

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
My vote is for UMI. Not one complaint about UMI products. Front upper and lowers and rear upper and lowers in my regal as well as the Viking coil over kit in the front. The only complaint is that they don't make tubular trans crossmembers yet. Hint hint!!!

I have had BMR products in the past and won't again. Bought a BMR k-member for my 88 IROC and 3 or the 4 bolts wouldn't line up. They tried to tell me that my car was the problem when I know it had never been wrecked. They sent a replacement and same thing. They wanted to charge a 20% restock fee for a bad product so I left the 3rd one in the box and sold it on fleebay. Bought one from Spohn and it bolted right in no problem. I was actually more impressed with the Spohn unit since it was one piece unlike the BMR unit. I also bought lower a-arms for the same vehicle and they were made in a bad jig or something just like the k-member. The left arm had so much setback that the tire would hit when turning left. Right side wasn't so bad. I took BMR arms and laid them on top of the originals and it was obvious the BMR arms weren't even close. The left one had about 1.5" setback. Those got sold on fleebay as well. Took my originals to work and e-coated and painted them and installed new bushings and ball joints and lived happily ever after.

With that said, I'm sure I got the only bad items BMR has ever made, so it's up to you where to spend your hard earned money.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it took me some time to get the suspension put together on my car and i hounded ramey for atleast a year about parts/alignment on things i hadn't bought yet.he always got back to me in a timely fashion.i couldn't buy everything @once but piece by i got it all together and umi was always there to answer my questions.those black Friday deals nudged me along too.compare just the g-body catalog that umi sports to bmr's...

BMR Suspension

G-Body Guru
Aug 2, 2012
Tampa FL
sorry about that, I looked at your website and didn't find any manufacturing plants mentioned, maybe I missed them. I go out my way to support companies who manufacture their parts in the US or Canada so I'm glad to know that you do.

We are just outside of Tampa, FL. Our New Building is in Lakeland, FL

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
I currently swapped my OEM front arms for BMR. The originals were rusted and beyond salvaging. I wasn't sure about wether to take BMR or UMI, as both seem to be of excellent quality for "normal" cars, so I fliped the coin. BMR it was. Currently I am waiting for the winter to end, so I can test it on the road. Here are a few pics of the installation-progress and the rust-deteriorated lower control arm:
20181112_194517.jpg 20180910_212951.jpg 20181107_084551.jpg 20181112_182314.jpg 20181112_182323.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I currently swapped my OEM front arms for BMR. The originals were rusted and beyond salvaging. I wasn't sure about wether to take BMR or UMI, as both seem to be of excellent quality for "normal" cars, so I fliped the coin. BMR it was. Currently I am waiting for the winter to end, so I can test it on the road. Here are a few pics of the installation-progress and the rust-deteriorated lower control arm:
View attachment 102146 View attachment 102147 View attachment 102148 View attachment 102149 View attachment 102150

I like the look of the control arms and it's nice to see you're using the cunifer brake lines...:)

FluoFerret

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2018
Luxembourg
I like the look of the control arms and it's nice to see you're using the cunifer brake lines...:)

These are mandatory here in Europe :) the TÜV, SNCT and all other technical control boards will light you up if the main lines are anything else than cunifer when you pull up in their yards :)

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
How do you get those control arms past TÜV?
Just asking for a friend...:roll:

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor