Bronze Brick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I don’t understand any of the fuss. The car was sold. That’s it. I think some sellers have a little sentimental feelings for the stuff they sell. But if bob was really that upset he should have never sold it. Like was said I’m not paying 1000’s of dollars to be the custodian of someone else’s stuff. Buying it was my admission price to do what I want. The new owner was not upset with how Bob treated the money.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I don’t understand any of the fuss. The car was sold. That’s it. I think some sellers have a little sentimental feelings for the stuff they sell. But if bob was really that upset he should have never sold it. Like was said I’m not paying 1000’s of dollars to be the custodian of someone else’s stuff. Buying it was my admission price to do what I want. The new owner was not upset with how Bob treated the money.
I think the fuss is that the Bronze Brick is a member of the GBF family here & even us members here see it as a part of us in a way. We have gotten to know Bob & the Brick together with all the their history before GBF & their new history on GBF. A lot of us have inversted interest in the Brick from reading Bob's post from what he did with it. We have it with others rides too that have left us & still here Like Hafrods 442 that he sold, Donovans Olds Cool that he's still knocking out of the park & UNGN's 2+2 that was lost to race crash (thankfully we didn't lose him or his son in that crash) for three examples. I could sit here & think of all of the cars that have pulled in the attention of members here from the work invloved by their owners/care takers. With a close knit community that GBF is there will be members that will feel hurt from how we heard of the deal was done with the Brick just to find out it did go. Yes it belongs to the OP & he has the right to do as he wish. But with it being used in a Motortrend show with being noted that it would be returned to before condition if not better with all parts returned then with the car not going back to its original glory did hit a chord in a bad way. I personally have issues in general with Motortrend & its publisher side since they took my money for two long turn subscription renewals with out any refund or comp for my money so I have a bias against them & don't like what they did to the car or even bothered to return the drivetrain. But back on track, we collective do feel these cars are a part of our family & wish when they move on they continure on the design plan of the selling owner cause we really do hate to see that persons blood, sweat & tears be for nothing. Now if the OP would of took the Brick & ran with out even keeping in contact with Bob or even posting here about it we would of most likely will still be seeing the Brick in its former glory. But we got to see it after, some have seen the during (which I will not try to see) with now what I feel as my opinion the OP having remorse for not keeping with his verbal agreement to keep the Bricks original glory going. I will admit if I had the money when Bob was selling it or now as it's for sale again I would be jumping on it but its not my time right now. With my overall opinion I don't like what has happen & would of liked to see a legacy continued. It would be nice to see a member who can to step up & give the Brick a new home & try to return it back close to what we know as the Bronze Brick. We all do hate to see a member of the family being in a hurt state.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I guess I'm more pragmatic than anything else when it comes to business deals. Verbal agreements as what allegedly happened here to keep the car along the same path mean nothing once the cash and the title swap hands. As bracketchev1221 put it so eloquently- nobody hears anyone crying about what Bob did with the money. He should have bought bitcoin with that money, could have bought it back and had more money left over by now...but hey, I'm guessing he didn't. Can't fault the current owner for doing whatever he wanted with the car. But I can also see where the actions could rub some people the wrong way. I haven't, and will never, buy a car with any stipulations from the seller that I do this or that or keep something the same with the car, unless I offered that first and that was my intentions all along. But if I changed my mind later, I owe nothing more than the money I paid. Haters gonna hate. At least I would be happy, and that's all that counts.

Emotions should stop as soon as the business deal goes into motion. And for the fans of the Brick who liked what it was and where it was going, you had a chance for the longest time to buy it and keep it going. Sh*t changes. You got to suck it up and deal with the things you cannot control. I get the emotional "investment" that some people had with the car. But unless there's some $$ investments in the car, emotional investments correlate to $0.00 investment value.

I would love to find a good home for my rides when it's time for me to step away from the hobby. I don't know when that will be, but I would hope I could find someone that would take care of my cars as I would. But that's pie in the sky thinking. Come back to the real world and you find that people do with their stuff as they wish. And unless you have skin in that game, you have no say-so. If I sell a car, I can't worry what happens to it down the road.

Can Bob hold his grudge if he felt slighted on a verbal agreement? Sure. Be butt-hurt all you want, but sitting on the pile of cash you got for it should ease that butt-hurt. Will holding a grudge change anything? No.

You want control of the Brick's future fate? Then fork over $14K or best offer....

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

FasBu’s75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2019
I think the fuss is that the Bronze Brick is a member of the GBF family here & even us members here see it as a part of us in a way. We have gotten to know Bob & the Brick together with all the their history before GBF & their new history on GBF. A lot of us have inversted interest in the Brick from reading Bob's post from what he did with it. We have it with others rides too that have left us & still here Like Hafrods 442 that he sold, Donovans Olds Cool that he's still knocking out of the park & UNGN's 2+2 that was lost to race crash (thankfully we didn't lose him or his son in that crash) for three examples. I could sit here & think of all of the cars that have pulled in the attention of members here from the work invloved by their owners/care takers. With a close knit community that GBF is there will be members that will feel hurt from how we heard of the deal was done with the Brick just to find out it did go. Yes it belongs to the OP & he has the right to do as he wish. But with it being used in a Motortrend show with being noted that it would be returned to before condition if not better with all parts returned then with the car not going back to its original glory did hit a chord in a bad way. I personally have issues in general with Motortrend & its publisher side since they took my money for two long turn subscription renewals with out any refund or comp for my money so I have a bias against them & don't like what they did to the car or even bothered to return the drivetrain. But back on track, we collective do feel these cars are a part of our family & wish when they move on they continure on the design plan of the selling owner cause we really do hate to see that persons blood, sweat & tears be for nothing. Now if the OP would of took the Brick & ran with out even keeping in contact with Bob or even posting here about it we would of most likely will still be seeing the Brick in its former glory. But we got to see it after, some have seen the during (which I will not try to see) with now what I feel as my opinion the OP having remorse for not keeping with his verbal agreement to keep the Bricks original glory going. I will admit if I had the money when Bob was selling it or now as it's for sale again I would be jumping on it but its not my time right now. With my overall opinion I don't like what has happen & would of liked to see a legacy continued. It would be nice to see a member who can to step up & give the Brick a new home & try to return it back close to what we know as the Bronze Brick. We all do hate to see a member of the family being in a hurt state.
Nice

first off there was 0 verbal agreement. I was the only person that ponied up the 20k. Now I had no intention of hurting your feelings or Bob’s. If you could only see the respect the car was given while pulling the motor and trans and each item bagged and tagged. Even mentioned on the show “I’ve never worked on a nicer or cleaner car”

I posted the car here for sale. Simply because of what Bob put on a Facebook post 2 days ago. The motor was treated with respect. Now for the record, all of the work bob put into this motor is 25 year old technology. The cam is a single pattern solid roller. The heads are some of the first heads that AFR ever built. Even from Bob’s own mouth said the motor is old technology that needs updating. My intentions were to repaint the car back to a modern version of its OG color. Just modernize it with nearly the same look. It’s not the OG motor to the car. With all the FUSS that Bob has made about this I just lost all love of MY CAR. Literally until 4 minutes prior to posting to this forum I had no intentions of ever selling it. When I read Bobs comment on my friends Facebook page I was just done. I have had many offers in the past 2 days and I’m accepting the one that is less money but takes the car to the place I want it to go. (Anyone have an issue with me selling for not the highest price 😂) in closing. I still have a world of respect for Bob. However I just am sick of hearing about the “abomination” I’ve done by pulling the SBC and TH350 out.

Reactions: 1 users

FasBu’s75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2019
I guess I'm more pragmatic than anything else when it comes to business deals. Verbal agreements as what allegedly happened here to keep the car along the same path mean nothing once the cash and the title swap hands. As bracketchev1221 put it so eloquently- nobody hears anyone crying about what Bob did with the money. He should have bought bitcoin with that money, could have bought it back and had more money left over by now...but hey, I'm guessing he didn't. Can't fault the current owner for doing whatever he wanted with the car. But I can also see where the actions could rub some people the wrong way. I haven't, and will never, buy a car with any stipulations from the seller that I do this or that or keep something the same with the car, unless I offered that first and that was my intentions all along. But if I changed my mind later, I owe nothing more than the money I paid. Haters gonna hate. At least I would be happy, and that's all that counts.

Emotions should stop as soon as the business deal goes into motion. And for the fans of the Brick who liked what it was and where it was going, you had a chance for the longest time to buy it and keep it going. Sh*t changes. You got to suck it up and deal with the things you cannot control. I get the emotional "investment" that some people had with the car. But unless there's some $$ investments in the car, emotional investments correlate to $0.00 investment value.

I would love to find a good home for my rides when it's time for me to step away from the hobby. I don't know when that will be, but I would hope I could find someone that would take care of my cars as I would. But that's pie in the sky thinking. Come back to the real world and you find that people do with their stuff as they wish. And unless you have skin in that game, you have no say-so. If I sell a car, I can't worry what happens to it down the road.

Can Bob hold his grudge if he felt slighted on a verbal agreement? Sure. Be butt-hurt all you want, but sitting on the pile of cash you got for it should ease that butt-hurt. Will holding a grudge change anything? No.

You want control of the Brick's future fate? Then fork over $14K or best offer....
My Man!! You said it best!!
Also there was 0 verbal agreement. I told Bob I wanted to put a T56 in it. He suggested a gear vendors. Made sense. Anyways. I’ve lost all love from all the crap I’ve heard. I spent the $20k. The car was for sale on here for 5 years. No one spent the cash but me. I seen the value in the 1 owner well documented car. I didn’t see the value in staying carbureted in 2021 or not electronically shifted. Thanks again for the awesome post!!

FasBu’s75

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2019
But what about the original engine? It was stated by you, and on the episode, that it was to be returned. Where is it now?
It’s in a safe place and will be updated some day. It’s not for sale and will not go back in MY car.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Not being present at "the deal", I have no way of knowing what was or was not spoken of.

While I agree that once the title changes hands, and it's yours to do with as you see fit, the part I can't understand is:

Knowing how Bob felt about the car, and his desire for it to remain essentially as-is, WHY on earth would you rub his nose in what was done by sending him the link to the show?

I don't know either of the players involved personally, so I can't begin to guess who either is as a person

Have I bought cars that I fully intended to cut up/part out to get what I wanted/needed? Sure have. Have I ever told the seller what the fate of it is going to be? Nope. Have I later gone and shown them the car in pieces. Nope.

I sold a very nice 454 Corvette to a guy once. The car was a factory paint-delete car. Last year 454 in Corvette car. He told me he was going to paint it red (how original) and put a 350 in it. Said he'd send me pictures. Told him I didn't really want to see it again once it left. Some things are best left to the imagination.

To me, it's not that Bob's/Your car was changed, it's how it was handled.

I'm not great at long posts or making concise explanations, but I think the above is a pretty good overview of my thoughts on the whole situation

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Not being present at "the deal", I have no way of knowing what was or was not spoken of.

While I agree that once the title changes hands, and it's yours to do with as you see fit, the part I can't understand is:

Knowing how Bob felt about the car, and his desire for it to remain essentially as-is, WHY on earth would you rub his nose in what was done by sending him the link to the show?

I don't know either of the players involved personally, so I can't begin to guess who either is as a person

Have I bought cars that I fully intended to cut up/part out to get what I wanted/needed? Sure have. Have I ever told the seller what the fate of it is going to be? Nope.Have I later gone and shown them the car in pieces. Nope.

I sold a very nice 454 Corvette to a guy once. The car was a factory paint-delete car. Last year 454 in Corvette car. He told me he was going to paint it red (how original) and put a 350 in it. Said he'd send me pictures. Told him I didn't reall want to see it again once it left. Some things are best left to the imagination.
My impressions of this whole story to me reads worse than some scripted reality show. Here's how I'm reading all this and interpret it to mean based on how it sounds to me:

You've got a guy selling a car, but wanting to control its life in perpetuity.

You've got a buyer who may or may not know this depending who you believe, but, rubs the sellers nose in a car getting hacked and it's parts abused.

You've got a "loaned" drivetrain, as if motortrend can't open a catalog and buy whatever they want for cash, with a purported "promise" to return it in as good or better shape.

You got a mixture of hearing how the drivetrain is now property of motor trend despite promises of its return, but, you've also got later statement that the drivetrain is in a safe place to be updated. Which... doesn't make sense, but I guess no more or less than the rest.

Then we're told just because of a Facebook post to some third party now the car is unwanted and all love lost, although earlier were told it was 12 surgeries that mean the car can't be worked on is a reason for a sale... but, if I had 12 surgeries that left me so poorly off I couldn't work on a car, why would I have bought it to begin with?

So now it's for sale at a somewhat ridiculous price for a roller with a trash motor thrown in that needs a rebuild and had no oil pressure, and yet within a sentence later was still a healthy motor despite needing said rebuild and having lost oil pressure right after being first used..

But it's not being sold to get the most money, its being sold cheaper than a better offer because someone who claims to have lost all love for a car (and thus shouldn't care anything about it if they lost all love) wants to decide where it goes, but IS going to dictate that they won't recover the former drivetrain to go with it that, by their own words, is entitled to be returned as good or better than when it was removed.

My impression is it sounds like honey boo boo's family bought the car and are trying to tee up some new reality spin off.

POPCORN, GET YOUR POPCORN HERE! :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The way i read it is the 350 coming with it is not the original

Motortrend buy stuff? LOL LOL ...Their shows are nothing but ads for vendors who appear to give them all the latest & greatest so the poor saps that aren't on TV will buy it

It'll make a nice car for sombody. Not me, because I'd have to change too much stuff, and then I'd have to never speak of it again on GBF

Reactions: 3 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor