Budget paint job (250.00)

Status
Not open for further replies.
454muscle said:
Nicely done, it turned out nice! What a great idea. Get the tools and do the bodywork yourself, get it painted at Maaco. Well done bro.

I had a budget paint job too once. It also turned out nice. Problem was after a week, the paint faded, and in the next few weeks I had tons of stone chips all over. The quality of the paint was horrible. I learned about paint qualities after that. Acrylic enable, base clear, are good choices. Urethane = No. Not sure what Maaco uses.

How can you say that urethane is a no no?? I´ve seen cars painted with 2k urethane paint and they look good. And the paints are usually for hevy duty like tracktors and forklifts so they very durable. Check out Temadure 90. Lots of color alternatives.

Chamade LS said:
454muscle said:
Nicely done, it turned out nice! What a great idea. Get the tools and do the bodywork yourself, get it painted at Maaco. Well done bro.

I had a budget paint job too once. It also turned out nice. Problem was after a week, the paint faded, and in the next few weeks I had tons of stone chips all over. The quality of the paint was horrible. I learned about paint qualities after that. Acrylic enable, base clear, are good choices. Urethane = No. Not sure what Maaco uses.

How can you say that urethane is a no no?? I´ve seen cars painted with 2k urethane paint and they look good. And the paints are usually for hevy duty like tracktors and forklifts so they very durable. Check out Temadure 90. Lots of color alternatives.

All modern auto paint is polyurethane (or urethane). The clear part of base clear is a urethane.

Some close ups

100_1109.jpg

100_1115.jpg

100_1113.jpg

A good paint job runs you $3000ish so for $250 it's a fine deal. I can see peel from the photos but even new cars have peel these days. Enjoy your new paint job. I wish mine looked as good. My uncle decided to use black rustoleum on the hood for some reason. Painted right over the chrome trim. Someone asked me if my car had been on fire. LOL.

Thanks 8)

Damn, dude! That looks great (and I hate Monte Carlos)! :notworthy:

454muscle said:

Depending on which type of acrylic you're talking about and for what type of job, it can be the best bang for the buck. Enamel will hold up a few years and it's pretty cheap. He should be able to afford something like this with a few hundred, I've done it multiple times with acrylic enamel. Urethanes are the only paints that are going to last for the long term in a car that's driven... could be as much as 15-20 years+ without fading if taken care of. Acrylic will be long gone by that time, acrylic lacquer = No.

to the OP - I think 250$ is verrry optimistic, speaking from experience. Budget about 500-600$ and it'll get you where you want to be. That amount includes if you do your own prep work, add another 500-600$ onto that if you pay a body shop to do the prep work.

so is urethan paint the best? im thinking bout painting mine. is acrylic enamel glossy without clear coat

You have to know what you are doing. You are not supposed to use urethane on top of laquer unless you use a sealer in between. The original paint on my Cutlass is laquer so I can't just scuff and shoot urethane on top. I'd have to sand, use a primer sealer, primer, then urethane paint. That is costly. Or, I could just sand it down a little and shoot some more laquer on it and it'd be ok.

When you paint, it is just as important to know about the old paint as it is to know about the new paint because they have to be compatible. So, before deciding what you will use, figure out what you have. If you don't care if the paint flakes off in a couple years do whatever you want. But, if you want a quality job that will last awhile you need to find out what is going on. There are many books and videos about painting your own car. You can rent some very good DVDs from smartflix.com. They go over painting, body work, buffing, the whole nine yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor