Budget Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
It reads 14101081 and mannnnnn that thing is filled with carbon build up. I want to flushed it but I'm scared I'll start having leaks that the sludge was blocking.

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_204026.jpg
    IMG_20180213_204026.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 176

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Could be a full swap of 305 TPI motor without the intake system as the manifolds are period correct for the 305 TPI. But could also be a mish mosh of parts. Putting small chamber 305 heads onto a 350 is a popular and cheap way to jack the compression to handle a bigger cam. The dilemma with the heads is the small valves needed to stay inside the 305 bore. They limit the top end capabilities. But for a specific application with the correct cam for low end grunt the head swap can work out well and be on a budget.

In terms of what you should do, pull a head and verify of it's a 305. If it is, then understand the limits of a NA 305. Regarding the amount of sludge under the valve cover, it indicates not enough oil changes, using crap oil, running hotter oil temps than recommended or a combination of those 3. Either way it isn't a good situation. I'd recommend a regroup on your build plan and intended use.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
In terms of what you should do, pull a head and verify of it's a 305. If it is, then understand the limits of a NA 305. Regarding the amount of sludge under the valve cover, it indicates not enough oil changes, using crap oil, running hotter oil temps than recommended or a combination of those 3. Either way it isn't a good situation. I'd recommend a regroup on your build plan and intended use.

The block casting # will tell you what it is - agree it's pretty nasty, I have seen worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor