1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Upgrades

Discussion in 'Engine / Swaps etc.' started by RustBucket, Feb 12, 2018.

1. RustBucket

RustBucket Not-quite-so-new-guy

Bought a Elky last week and was looking to do a tune up on it because guy that had it was torturing it. All fluid levels were low. I found 10 year old insurance papers inside (didn't clean the car) and the car doesn't even have windshield wipers. I don't know what they used this car for but anyways I'm looking to spend some bucks under the hood. Nothing major as I live paycheck to paycheck. Can y'all tell me which wireset/spark plugs to go with? It's a 305 with a th350 tranny. I don't know if I'd have to get special valve cover gaskets, it looks too have Corvette valve covers on it with hex bolts. Has a Edelbrock carb and intake. Also want to eliminate anything that doesn't need to be there anymore. Everything else looks stock. Ran the VIN number online and it shows it was originally a 4.4 well thank you guys and God bless! I'll post more pics on request.

Attached Files:

2. RustBucket

RustBucket Not-quite-so-new-guy

More pics. What are thooooose???

Attached Files:

3. Wageslave

Wageslave Master Mechanic

1st pic: Heater control - lets hot water into your heater core if it is hooked up

2nd pic: Cruise control module

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Master Mechanic

Bottom pic i believe is part of the cruise control. The top pic no clue.. but first switch out the glass fuel filter. . those can break and toast your car.

5. lilbowtie

lilbowtie Royal Smart Person

What year is the car? I didn't think center bolt covers came out till 87. You should run the casting #'s on the heads and block to verify what you have

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Turbolq4

Turbolq4 Greasemonkey

Yeah, those are way later model valve covers. Could get lucky and have a decent engine hiding under there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. 64nailhead

64nailhead Master Mechanic

Looks like valve covers from a TPI motor's valve covers. Perhaps an LT1 set of valve covers. But valve covers are just that - covers. Get the head casting numbers as lilbowtie recommended.

In terms of what plugs and wires to use I run Autolites or NGK's for plugs. For wires a set of Autolites or AC Delco's will be fine. Replace the cap and rotor as well. You could run a compression test while the plugs are out to try determine the status of the cylinders. From there get it running and check the vacuum reading with a gauge. Alot can be told about the cam, valves, timing and intake leaks with a vacuum gauge. Verify your base, mechanical advance and vacuum advance of the distributor via a timing light. Verifying the timing curve will helk determine if the dizzy is functioning correctly.

8. Streetbu

Streetbu Greasemonkey

I think he was talking about the valve in the heater core hose to shut hot water off from flowing thru the heater core, and the cruise control module on the left front inner fender.

9. Turbolq4

Turbolq4 Greasemonkey

Someone took at least a few parts from a tpi car. It has O2 sensors in the exhaust manifolds and look at the wide alternator belt. Do tpi blocks have mechanical fuel pump provisions? Maybe just the topend? You need to check block and head casting numbers.

10. pontiacgp

pontiacgp Canadian Prime Minister

one of the first things I would do is to change this glass filter, they have been known to cause fires....

IMG_20180212_175545.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2