Buick 350

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
I bet their machines are setup for Chevy and they're too lazy to change em. Aside from having a hole or being cracked in half there is no reason they can't work on it.
You are probably right. Do you know if the 350 flywheel will work on the V6 and what rings should I order if the cylinder measures 3.85? The number on the block is 25506397.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You are probably right. Do you know if the 350 flywheel will work on the V6 and what rings should I order if the cylinder measures 3.85? The number on the block is 25506397.
it will not work. the buick 350 is externally balanced (i think the v6 is to), so the flexplate (flextplate is what you have, flywheel is for a manual transmission) will be nowhere near close in balance same with the harmonic damper. it's got the same tooth count and starter mount location as the v6 though, so they share starters.
Also, the factory bore for both engines is 3.800 inches on the dot, if it reads 3.85", either someone bored it .050 for some reason in the past, or you're confusing the bore size of the 350 with it's stroke, which is 3.85". Use a cheap digital caliper from harbor freight or something (around $20) and post pics of measurements. that'll be close enough to tell bore size.

Reactions: 1 user

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
it will not work. the buick 350 is externally balanced (i think the v6 is to), so the flexplate (flextplate is what you have, flywheel is for a manual transmission) will be nowhere near close in balance same with the harmonic damper. it's got the same tooth count and starter mount location as the v6 though, so they share starters.
Also, the factory bore for both engines is 3.800 inches on the dot, if it reads 3.85", either someone bored it .050 for some reason in the past, or you're confusing the bore size of the 350 with it's stroke, which is 3.85". Use a cheap digital caliper from harbor freight or something (around $20) and post pics of measurements. that'll be close enough to tell bore size.
Yes, my bad. I meant flex plate. There were only two bolts holding it to the torque converter. As you can see in the pics they are wallored out. The bore size measured 3.85 before and after I hit it with the 3 stone hone. The timing chain is all steel and it has stainless steel freeze plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0452.jpeg
    IMG_0452.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: 1 users

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
How do I tell what rod bearings to get. Should I get a couple of different sizes and check them with the plasti gauge? I’m also having a hard time finding rings for it. I contacted Hastings but I haven’t heard back yet.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
How do I tell what rod bearings to get. Should I get a couple of different sizes and check them with the plasti gauge? I’m also having a hard time finding rings for it. I contacted Hastings but I haven’t heard back yet.
Sorry; jumping in late here. Any idea what size the old rod bearings were? If they're oversized, check for stampings on the backsides. Just make sure your crank is ready to go before you buy rod bearings. I had my crank polished before I bought bearings. My crank had already been ground .010" under stock diameter but cleaned up fine so I only needed to buy .010" rod bearings. Same with the main bearings. As for the bores, .050" over is an odd size. I've only seen .030", .040", and .060" over.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If the bore really is 3.85" (make sure the calipers are zero'd out when closed and not dirty), then it'll probably have to go another .010 to make it .060 over so you can find pistons. idk why someone would bore it .050 over, no one makes .050 over buick pistons.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Measure the pistons around the skirts, see what diameter they are.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Sorry; jumping in late here. Any idea what size the old rod bearings were? If they're oversized, check for stampings on the backsides. Just make sure your crank is ready to go before you buy rod bearings. I had my crank polished before I bought bearings. My crank had already been ground .010" under stock diameter but cleaned up fine so I only needed to buy .010" rod bearings. Same with the main bearings. As for the bores, .050" over is an odd size. I've only seen .030", .040", and .060" over.
Thank you. I appreciate your input.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor