Build a 455 olds or different motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ain't nothing wrong with having a street car and a drag car...
Save the 455 if you have room.
72-76 455 is what your numbers say. Smogger 455. Just has dished pistons, probably giant chambers as well. Edelbrock top end, nice 800cfm qjet, 10:1, great street engine. Or just keep it if the 403 ever kicks the bucket.
Don't worry, I knocked on wood for ya. Oak. Fancy.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Though it has been so long since I've driven mine I'm starting to forget . . . the 455 is an amazing street and performance engine. It also works well as an irrigation motor or in a Winnebago if not for the gas required. Built properly, they are quite forgiving and durable and the old cliche, there is no replacement for displacement, actually does still apply. I always support keeping it Olds before resorting to the typical well known swaps though there is certainly nothing wrong with that either. And, you can even have a fairly mild big block, run it off the CCC, run it through W/Z manifolds into dual high flow cats and full 2 1/2 or 3, pass a sniff test if you have to, and get 18-20mpg with a beefed up 200-4R. I happen to have one. But, Holley EFI is beckoning too . . . more cam . . . but moving to headers will likely mean I will die first. Personal problem . . .

Point is . . . you got options dude! That is a good thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There are complete stroker rotating assembly's available new and even the new Rocket Racing extreme duty block, more parts than ever before. Plus there are 3 readily available aluminum heads which work best with larger cubic inches. Procomp heads from a reliable source, Benard Mondello or Cutlassefi, should be your first 403 upgrade and easily transfers to the 455. Keep the block and rotating assembly, the stock rods are soft and heavy, the heads are worth nothing, J is for junk.

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, I do guess question one is do you wanna go 10 secs down a racetrack or drive a nice sleeper gbody around town?

I assumed the latter . . .

I know a guy that had a 307 Caddy and went to a slightly modified late model J head 455 running off the ECM and 800CCC, can pass a sniff test (he has to where he lives), and surprises the crap outta folks all the time with how well he can $hit&git in his old 4 door Caddy Cruiser. Had 40,000 miles on the build last time we talked.

Reactions: 1 user

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I vote keep it Olds, but leave the 403 until it explodes an have the 455 as a back-up. Swapping over to a chevy could be expensive but yet building an Olds 455 could be to because of limited aftermarket parts.

TRUTH!!!

Tom Lambert

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 25, 2018
Bri guy, I may be interested if the price is right. I was going to get a 383 sbc but a 455 will keep me all Olds and be an easier swap. Where you located?

Reactions: 1 users

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Get a cheap HF engine stand. Soak it with WD40 and bag it. If later you need it you've got it. The heads are probably not worth holding on to.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
The Olds will always be more expensive than a chevy to build, but they were w ell designed and long lived engines. Done right, they make a ton of power. IIRC 76 is the last year before they went to windowed mains, and perhaps for the BBO entirely, so the block should be a good one, if low on compression. They aren't worth much now, but they are getting to be rare. I wish I had kept the one I had. Your call, but I would hang onto it if I had the space.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Comes down to budget and goals. Canon Mutant mentioned drag times, if they are a concern and your also want to be the fastest guy on the street, then sell it. But for a street cruiser that can actually drive buy a gas station and outrun every poser, the BBO, BBP, BBB or BBC with a Q-jet on top are impossible to beat in mild build form. Torque that will make your toes curl :):)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here's the problem with Olds engines: there are a handful of people that know how to do it right. Your local speed shop will more than likely treat it like a Chevy or Ford, it will fail, and you'll be pissed. Chevies will always be better for the dollar, but blowing minds with a badass BOP is priceless.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor