Build a 455 olds or different motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Here's the problem with Olds engines: there are a handful of people that know how to do it right. Your local speed shop will more than likely treat it like a Chevy or Ford, it will fail, and you'll be pissed. Chevies will always be better for the dollar, but blowing minds with a badass BOP is priceless.

Agreed.

And how these type of builds usually go bad is that the owner hasn't set a realistic goal IMHO. Too much thought and money is spent on trying to reinvent the build, when in reality, all one of these need are a mild bump in compression and cam duration - note the word 'mild'. .5-.1 point of compression and 5-10 additional degrees of duration is all that's needed, and for street manners leave the stock ICL and LSA alone - DON'T put a cam in it with SBC timing events in it! Also, it's easy to get caught up in the HP/TQ numbers and trying to compare the numbers of a BB to those of a small block. The commonly overlooked difference is the rpm that the TQ comes in (torque curve). Making 300+ft/lbs at or before 3000 rpm's with a BB will be more driveable and more fun than any SB that's peaking TQ above 4500-5000 on the street.

The downside is as fleming mentioned - finding someone that know anything about the BBO and parts money.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

QS442

Master Mechanic
Sep 20, 2011
DE
Here's the problem with Olds engines: there are a handful of people that know how to do it right. Your local speed shop will more than likely treat it like a Chevy or Ford, it will fail, and you'll be pissed. Chevies will always be better for the dollar, but blowing minds with a badass BOP is priceless.

This is soooooo true! Finding a knowledgeable builder is were you should start. There are alot of aftermarket vendors making all kinds of cool things for the olds 455 with" the big must have over 500 hp" wave going around in the hot rod world. However, there are alot of olds engines failing with these new custom builds mainly because engine shops don't know how to specifically build olds engines. I looked high and low before I found the right guy for my 455 build. Building an Olds is more expensive than a Chevy when starting with new parts so you would want to get it done right the first time.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I searched for a while before I found someone that wouldn't treat my 455 heads like Chevy heads, as well as the block. Keep in in my opinion. Here's the thing engine swaps are so common with everyone going right to a chevy sb or an LS in their car however if you want that then just go buy a car that already has it. You'll turn way more heads and surprise way more people with the BBO and the torque is fantastic. Again that's just my opinion there are so many things out there with chevy engines sitting in them just because it was a buck cheaper but the owners really didn't know the options

Reactions: 4 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
While I agreed that machine shops bread and butter is Chevrolet's, there's alot of knowledgeable shops that do/know Oldsmobiles. You have to educate yourself to know what your talking about. Buy Joe Mondello's book and Bill Travado's book on Oldsmobile engines. Both have different ideas on Olds engines but both are knowledgeable and Bill Travado is the main guru now. Your not building a National Record Holder, just a healthy street engine. It's so easy to make decent hp and loads of torque.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1010-oldsmobile-455-big-block-engine-build/amp/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Or yknow, build the thing yourself. No reason why you can't. Sure, the shop can do the machine work, but YOU can do the assembly. If you get lucky, you will get an engine that won't need more than a bore job and maybe a decking to true everything up. 455s were 68-76, 403 was from 77-80, 350 was from 68-80. You have your options. Special attention needs to be paid to bearing clearances, and oil restrictors put in place in certain areas to keep enough oil down low.

Last edited:
  • Winner

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
If you have the room keep it and like others have said they are getting harder to find. If it came with all the brackets PS , Alt keep it together with the engine. The heads are smog and not for performance use but they will work. Look at your crankshaft , if you see a big N better crankshaft but since its a later block it would have the weaker crankshaft with no N but it still can be used. Olds 455 were made from 1968-1976 , 1968-1973 455 blocks have a provision for the bell cranks for the manual cars and restorers are paying good money for those year blocks. 1974-1976 blocks dont have the provision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor