Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Couldn't sleep. Here are a couple of better pics but under one of those fluorescents that yellows. I mean, you couldn't get a speaker grille to fit that protrusion any better than this. If you can wait a week, I should have these actually in the car so I can comment on any problems/issues?

695A2061.JPG

695A2062.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Drum roll please . . .

My outrageously expensive wheels shipped today. :D

Two weeks behind schedule but hopefully worth waiting for?
Should be like a kid on xmas morning next Tue or Wed . . . :banana:

Also ordering a 1350 joint Strange driveshaft with a 1350 version of the 200-4R front yoke to mate with

85-1350-Forged-Yoke-1.jpg

. . . and the rest of the 3.42, Eaton Truetrac, 30 spline axles rear that is coming.

Parts are piling up. I gots to gets busy! Need to shift my turtle to at least 2nd . . .
turtleride.gif

Nice problem to have though . . .

Last edited:

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Only downside is I elected not to get my 8.5 rear blasted and coated until I decided for sure I was even keeping it so now . . .

I still have to get my rear end into town for the blast and coat. But, since I am replacing all the internals, I can gut it this weekend, make it lighter and easier to handle, etc. for the trip. Yeah, I know, document and pic the disassembly!

Meanwhile, I've got all the sound system work to get done [yeah, I know pics, pics, pics] so plenty to keep me busier than my nearly 60 year old numerous PITA ailments will probably allow me to do.

Believe it or not, the kid on xmas morning feeling over those Sabers finally on the way helps overcome some of that crap. Just wish this "2nd" childhood thing wasn't so damn expensive . . . not as much as the wife does but let's not go there . . .
:doh:

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Give you a tip. When you disassemble the rear, mark and save the shims for the carrier. Reuse them when setting up the new carrier. Often times they will get you very close to the correct pattern. Make sure to save the pinion shims too!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Everything is looking good, nice speakers by the way. My 88 is done once the 15Wx4 Pioneer cassette arrives. The 70S is a different story. My Wife spends squat on herself but I think I almost have her convinced to buy a new Challenger GT AWD. She loves her 2010 SE but would like the heated steering wheel and AWD. I told her we would keep the 2010 since it is paid for. She said Hemi swap, after the Dakota 5.9 swap, NO! I said bolt on, headers, throttle body and tuner, would put it in the 14's, plenty fast and the Stone White is super sharp. The Challenger is really awesome on the highway and the curves. But it means the 88 CSC would have to go. Sorry to hijack, now get to work:).

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I am so pumped about working that I am going back out right now. Problem is I just put on another thread I am heading back out at 11:04 and now it's 11:09. Slow down this freakin' clock and I might get more done . . .

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Typical . . . Pumped, ready to go, and the lupus and other mid-life crisis nonsense aren't bad so I expected major accomplishment this weekend . . . so . . .

After a late night in the shop Friday, I woke up yesterday with a mother of a sinus infection. Been cool and damp here for nearly a month so I've been flirting with one for over a week. So, my big weekend in the shop got spent in bed with likely a trip to the doc for an antibiotic tomorrow.

frusty.gif

TMI on the one hand but I expect those following were expecting some progress [like me]. Even at my turtle pace, I should have had the rear end gutted and ready to go to town tomorrow and the sound system in and the interior back together.

About all I learned late Friday night is I think I am going to need some help getting the new ABS headliner up. Not that heavy but just not enough hands. Any secrets?

upload_2017-4-2_22-19-34.jpeg
I'll use the search function and see what I can find?

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, still fighting the mother of all sinus infections but at least was out of bed today doing a few things.

Wheels are here! My rather filthy 442 cap is just sitting on there and I have finger prints all over them already so the wheels need cleaned too frankly. If you cannot tell from the pic, they look amazing as they should for over $3K of wheels. I have a local guy that will fab a converter center cap that this will snap on to. I also have the factory gold wheel tape for around the lip and then . . .

you have 17x8 and 18x9.5 versions of the 15x7 GM SSIIIs
thumbsup.gif

IMG_0735.JPG

My wiring showed up today for the battery relocate and sound system installation. I was ready to go to town on this before I got sick but realized that I had all the components but my wiring had not showed up yet. Details . . . Has anyone else noticed that Amazon has gotten extremely slow? At least they are when you buy stuff from them that actually comes from other suppliers. I ordered all of this just shy of a month ago.

IMG_0739.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor