Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Without doing another poll . . . thoughts?

Instead of creating a converter cap my SSIII center caps can snap onto, I ordered some of the 442 inserts for them off of gbodyparts and want to try to mill .030 [basically the US Mags Logo depth] from the arrow in off the face and just insert the 442 insert. This creates a more modern look I think but also ends the "steal me" grab and go center cap with these o-ringed in [quite tight] US Mags center caps.

What do we think? FWIW, what look like scratches on the US Mags cap are just finger print smudges.

442 cap.jpg

View attachment 64054

US mags cap crop.png

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I like your idea to use the US Mags centercaps

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I hate to say it, but I really like the Olds center caps. You have to live with it though. Maybe machine one cap and see how it looks installed with the 442 insert. The wheels look fantastic by the way.

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, it's a toss up . . . that's normal! And, on coin tosses I lose 90% of the time so there is that to consider . . . :doh:

Truthfully, I like the original caps too but, though you cannot really tell it from the pic, even when they are cleaned and polished you can tell they are an over 30 year old center cap on a brand new wheel. But, for a mere $220 . . .

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=55_84_91&products_id=3163

On the fear of theft, I must admit that, since I never take the car anywhere and leave it or like drive it to the box store etc, getting the old caps stolen isn't likely. And, if Auto-X actually gets serious, I will be buying a cheap set of aftermarket wheels to get these Purdy wheels off and to get 285s on all 4 corners for that so won't lose a cap that way either.

As you all have probably noticed too on your cars, though I do most work on the car myself, I cannot even take it to get the AC changed over without some maniac thinking he can go run the piss out of my car so even that requires me having the time to just go baby-sit it. Yeah, I know, I'm no fun . . .

So, talking with my local machinist friend today, he said it would be "easier" to fab the converter caps for the SSIII caps to snap on to from the US Mags centers rather than creating our own converter caps from scratch. So, I think I will have him mill down the center on one, put in a new 442 overlay, and see how that looks? Not thrilled? Go ahead and have him remove the rest of the material from the center of the US Mags caps required to turn it into a converter cap. He has a pretty cool S/W package that allows him to scan the US Mags cap and inside of the SSIII caps that conveniently unscrew and then he can overlay the latter over the former on his computer screen to create the mill file. Sound like a plan?
Glad we had this little chat . . .
cheers.gif

On the rear end front, poor Mike up at QuickPerformance is so busy we cannot seem to get our wires crossed. I have decided to just haul my rear end up there but do not know if he wants it gutted already or if he wants to remove the old internals himself for any reason? Once I know that, and he has all the parts in for the rebuild, I am headed to Ames . . .

Be nice to finally have that rear end done-done so I can start putting this bad boy back together.
yay.gif

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I too like the Olds caps on those rims but understand they will be worn. I know whatever you do will look better than anything I own:). I epoxied SS1 puffy decals on 88 aluminum rims, looks better than the worn black and white originals.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Went ahead and ordered my tires even though I'm not ready for them just because of the $70 Bridgestone rebate this month. $550 after rebate for the set is pretty freakin' reasonable . . .

Can no longer get the Bridgestone RE-11s I wanted, the Michelin Pilot SS tires are $300 more and the fronts only get 8" of tread actually on the pavement compared to the Bridgestones 9" for the same size. Looked at Falkens, Hankooks, Continentals, and BFGs but I either live with unidirectional tread which I don't like, poor wet performance, or cannot get the sizes I need [like the Rival S]. But, these should perform and look quite well for the outrageously expensive Sabers and if I ever get serious trying to dominate that GTV pro-touring circuit :rofl: as I've said before that will require extra wheels I don't mind tearing up and some 200 tread. Let's shoot for "driving the car again" first, shall we?

bs_potenza_re760_spt_pdpfull.jpg

OK so, on the one hand, the following is what happens when a nearly 60 year old engineer brain won't shut the hell off while the nearly 60 year old health quirks won't cooperate to actually get any work done. But with that "it is what it is" disclaimer aside . . .

Bottom line: My power and sound tray concept for behind the rear seat.

Going from [1] battery up front to [2] deep cycle batteries in back for a number of reasons.
a) Working toward that ever elusive 50/50 weight distribution.
b) Getting 42 lbs. driver's side front weight split into [2] 24 lb weights over each rear tire.
c) This also creates a nice box void up front for my cold air intake.
d) Extra [parallel] deep cycle battery capacity for extended high wattage sound system play at shows, working in the garage etc
and
e) For when my health goes down sometimes for months to find that just the trickle drain from the ECM, sound system etc have killed yet another conventional battery requiring yet another pro-rated warranty exchange blah yadda . . .
[like AGAIN this winter when I was SUPPOSED to be finishing this build]! :doh:

Single enclosed subwoofer is attached to the tray made from 3/8" black ABS I found cheap. I will likely cover the outside with the black trunk carpet to dress it up a bit.
I still have actual bolt down connections to the driver's side [primary] battery for the 1/0 AWG wires running up to the engine bay [blind mate for at times extremely high current power and ground to/from the engine bay isn't worth the cost for something that is safe/reliable].
But, flip down the cover [that is not pictured], disconnect just those 2 wires running up front and, thanks to 2 really cool heavy duty blind mate connectors, the entire tray slides out because everything else is wired right on the tray.
Provides a nice-neat-contained medium to wire everything and for service removal if service is ever necessary [??].
Battery one 1/0 AWG parallel down and over and up to battery two.
Battery one 8 AWG power/ground to amp one.
Battery one 8 AWG power/ground to sub.
Battery two 8 AWG power/ground to amp two.
Amp signals input/output to the [2] blind mate connectors at the rear of the tray on either side of the sub enclosure.
Blind mate connectors have "6 INPUT" low current [preamp in] connections and "4 OUTPUT" high current speaker connections.
Here is the only "picture" of the "connector family" I'm using. I have the "CAD model" for the actual connectors I am using but not a JPEG or otherwise I can post here. My connectors have just 6 IN [2x3 pin array in the middle] 4 out [2 blades each side for left/right doors and rear deck speakers] but hopefully you get the idea . . . and of course there is the female mate to this not shown.
3 1/2" speakers in the dash just run off of the 45W/per channel head power. These wire to wire type connectors mount to [2] small blocks that bolt down to the sheet metal behind the rear seat with the mating blind mate connectors on the tray.

et60t_thumb.png

This next drawing is just a block diagram at this point with the "wiring" and "cover" layers turned off but, turned on, some things are hidden by the cover and the drawing gets WAY too busy to follow what is what anyway. Well, I can follow it but only because I did the CAD. There is also an extension from the top of the sub that the cover latches to that is not shown. I have allowed for the sub to breathe in the center of the flip up cover. Hopefully it gives [anyone that cares besides me
notsure.gif
] the general idea. I wanted to actually make this a box and mount my 6x9s to the lid in an appropriate 6x9 hole directly under the 4x10 deck mount points but that is creating too many clearance problems with the trunk lid hinges etc. But, I am still crunching on that idea some too . . .
Power Shelf.jpg

Batteries and related containers that screw down to the tray and connection arms . . .

XS Battery.jpg

XS Tray.jpg

XS Connections.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Tires are here . . . I can go spin those PURDY wheels on the tire machine Monday after I drop my rear end off.
thumbsup.gif

IMG_0743.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Everything is looking good, nice speakers by the way. My 88 is done once the 15Wx4 Pioneer cassette arrives. The 70S is a different story. My Wife spends squat on herself but I think I almost have her convinced to buy a new Challenger GT AWD. She loves her 2010 SE but would like the heated steering wheel and AWD. I told her we would keep the 2010 since it is paid for. She said Hemi swap, after the Dakota 5.9 swap, NO! I said bolt on, headers, throttle body and tuner, would put it in the 14's, plenty fast and the Stone White is super sharp. The Challenger is really awesome on the highway and the curves. But it means the 88 CSC would have to go. Sorry to hijack, now get to work:).

Was going back looking at an old post and I responded to this but it never showed up in the thread. Must have yorglemeyered something I guess. Did you ever get the Challenger?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No, we need to reduce bills and debts first. When you see a sold on my 88, the time has come!

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Well, the only rear end parts that showed up today from QuickPerformance were the Mosers and that is because they came from Moser along with the batteries, 150A alternator, and new 1/2-20 stud bolts from Summit. The rest of the rear end stuff from Mike ain't coming until Tuesday I guess. So, that screws up taking the rear end AND wheels/tires into town Monday. Have to decide if I want to just go spin the wheels Monday and take the rear end in Wed? If I didn't live clear out in the sticks, the trip vs 2 to town wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The price of peace and quiet, 10 acres, pond, lots of trees etc. <= nice problems to have [especially the etc part
thumbsup.gif
]

:popcorn:

Parts.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor