Build Thread: '87 442 . . . Time to turn and stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
The seemingly ever evolving saga continues . . .

Related to the latest post over in my 67 thread:

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/vin-tampering.66250/page-12

:popcorn:

Can high polish ceramic coat all of this down in OKC for about $600. Won't bother coating the cats but these new ones are at least stainless.
pye-dof10s_xl.jpg

Muffler delete on this: Use these tailpipes on my 67 exhaust and reuse my 87 tailpipes once I get them ceramic coated here.
pye-sga30_xl.jpg

mpe-14577_xl.jpg

mpe-94305_xl.jpg

And, the lowering suspension setup I wanted to begin with for my 87 but went the cheaper Eibach Pros Bilstein AKs way instead. They are replacing the bouncy ones on the 67.

upi-gbf250-1_xl.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
:popcorn:

At $50/day rental cost, I figured with some additional welding on the rear end I need to do, boxing in the frame, the new heavy duty rear rail cross bar mounts, and now 2 exhaust systems [1 to do, 1 to redo], I would have this paid for anyway. Plus I have some brackets I want to make for the corners and gates on about 800 linear feet of 4 rail ranch fence when I get back around to that project so . . . WTF!

Figure if I wait and do the exhausts last, I may be good enough by then . . . :confused:

On sale, $549. (y)

Yeah, I know, Millers are better. This will work fine!

015082663449 (2).jpg

Let's get busy . . .
turtleride.gif

Last edited:

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Anyone know where I can buy one of these way cool FRONT shock tower braces for a Gbody that gives me something else to bust my knuckles on when I'm wrenching on the motor?

Just wondering . . . you gotta admit, it looks REALLY important! :rolleyes:

GEDC0364.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That welder is a good beginner model. The Home Depot Special only has 4 heat settings, though. The open market version has 8 or 10 which will come in handy as you become more proficient. Start with flux core; it's a lot easier to work with.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Anyone know where I can buy one of these way cool FRONT shock tower braces for a Gbody that gives me something else to bust my knuckles on when I'm wrenching on the motor?

Just wondering . . . you gotta admit, it looks REALLY important! :rolleyes:

View attachment 85394

Probably be hard to come by since they dont have a front shock tower

• Agree
  • Indifferent
Reactions: 3 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Probably be hard to come by since they dont have a front shock tower

Sorry, guys, my attempt at sarcasm . . . Even with the proper connect points, I seriously doubt this does much beyond look important and I do guarantee you my knuckles would find it every single time I was under the hood . . .

• Agree

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Since I have a welder and all, this showed up today . . . might as well get some more practice! And, though I will likely just drive it, I already know my measly 275/40/18s are going to be grossly inadequate. Run the 245/275 setup on those purdy wheels and make room for some "all 4 corners squared up wider 200 series rubber maybe 285 or 295 on some cheaper wheels" when I feel like getting my *ss handed to me on the track.

IMG_1607.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
You know, as I shared with them on their thread, I’m a little worried about that separate splitter our UMI friends are going to try on the green machine without a lip in between the car and the splitter. Aeroflow definitely recommended against it. But, Ramey should know on the first lap how much unpredictable buffeting they experience? Aeroflow said it would be highly problematic with side winds and with race traffic. Though I won’t hardly be racing much (love to just drive it again at this point) I’m going with a 3” lip and then the splitter.

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Not even there yet but I think I found my 19" racing wheels when the time comes [not going racing with those Sabers to say the least] . . . I think these could look badass on a Gray/Silver 442 and MUCH lighter. Of course, I don't want to muck the Sabers up but the two biggest problems with them for the track are needing a square setup and they weigh a ton. Over 40 per on the fronts and nearly 45 on the rear.

And I was complaining about the cost of the Sabers . . . these are worse!

Forgeline-AL204-PGTG-hi-res.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor