Cam Bearing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nates84cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2009
Thomasboro, Illinois
Got my 400 block back from the machine shop and it has a bearing that appears to not have been fully pushed into the spot. seems to be fine centered wise but it hangs out just a tad. I am sure I will call them to make sure but I don't want to drive back over there!!! It's out about .030+ or so Not an exact measurement, Is that acceptable ir does it need to be fully inserted.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Check to see if the oil hole in the bearing lines up with the oil galley hole in the block. Should be a hole that goes from the main journal that intersects with the cam journal. If the holes line up good I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It'd probably be worth taking it back to have them check. If it's not right and you put the engine together and have problems later, it's the builders responsibility to make sure all maching was done correctly.

Nates84cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2009
Thomasboro, Illinois
Thanks, I will double check the oil hole. If it is lined up or needs to be set in a bit I may just get an installer and set it in farther. I was initially goind to do it myself anyway but a buddy talked me out of it. He is like it's there already might as well just pay the 25 bux for the labor vs the tool. Even though they are professionals sometimes I feel better doing stuff myself.

Thanks again.

Nate

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
They may be professionals. They are also *humans* and humans make mistakes. It's always best to double/triple check ALL work.

Nates84cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2009
Thomasboro, Illinois
They all look to be lined up. After I checked with a mirror I made a little tool pretty much the same diameter of the holes to stick in them all.

Thanks again.

Nate

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I was curious as to what you found. Thanks for the update. Good luck with your build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor