Cam swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
Whats up guys just got my carb rebuilt and the car is running great but I want to do an lt4 hot cam swap I know I need headers , springs for heads, some fancy head work so springs fit and the cam. The block is a 97 with a stock roller cam and vortec heads already. Id just like a list of all things needed so I can see what it cost and collect parts all winter thanks on third gen f body forums someone did this and got like 410 hp 430 torque last but not least will the bottom end hold

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Parts needed
1)cam and lifters
2)springs that match cam
3) headgaskets because you need heads removed and machined as stated.
4)intake gaskets
5)exhaust gaskets
6) timing chain set because your there and would be stupid not to
7) timing cover gasket
8) oil and filter
9) antifreeze.
10) Time to get it done.
11) rtv sealent
12) valve cover gaskets

Just a few off the top of my heads.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
Timing chain and gaskets I figured but I read about self aligning somethings that were needed (not sure why) and 1.6 somethings I figure there parts I have but new and better

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
With vortec heads you need self alighning rocker arms unless you have screw in studs and guide plates installed. 1.5 or 1.6 is the ratio of the rocker arms. 1.5 would be stock ratio. 1.6 will gain you a little lift and a rouch of duration. 1.5 will be fine. And with any high lift cam screw in rocker studs i would highly recommend.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
Ok so

Cam and lifters

Self aligning rocker arms ( stock are not?)

Screw in rocker stud

Heads redone with fancy springs

I wana have everything pull motor out and stick it back in

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
bigdawg said:
Ok so

Cam and lifters

Self aligning rocker arms ( stock are not?)

Screw in rocker stud

Heads redone with fancy springs

I wana have everything pull motor out and stick it back in
I wouldnt use stock rockers with any aftermarket cam but thats me.

If you want to use a normal roller rocker you can have guide plates installed and you wont need self alighning rockers. I have used 1.5 ratio rockers in just about all of my sbc builds with over .500 lift with no problems. Also keep in mind that the compression ratio on most vortec 350 is 9.5:1 if memory serves me correct. So you dont want a cam that is to big or motor will be sluggish on the low end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor