can i put 22s on my 86 cutlass with out lifting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
You need new springs and/or shocks and 245/30/22 or 255/30/22 tires. That's it. Oh, make sure the rims are the correct offset for your car.

I see a lot of guys making snide remarks about rims on other people's cars. If you can't afford 'em, then keep your mouth shut. Don't think that just because we put rims on our cars that we're lacking in other areas such as performance. Let this be a lesson to those who think that rims are stupid and make cars slow: http://www.streetcarforums.com/showthread.php?t=115556

bimmershark

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2009
naples fl
Qdub24 said:
You need new springs and/or shocks and 245/30/22 or 255/30/22 tires. That's it. Oh, make sure the rims are the correct offset for your car.

I see a lot of guys making snide remarks about rims on other people's cars. If you can't afford 'em, then keep your mouth shut. Don't think that just because we put rims on our cars that we're lacking in other areas such as performance. Let this be a lesson to those who think that rims are stupid and make cars slow: http://www.streetcarforums.com/showthread.php?t=115556

for me its not a "cant afford it" thing i just dont think they look good with anything more then a 20" and then the car really has to speak to me...but i live by the rule that if its your car and ya like it do it...

85salonn442

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2009
Chicago
U can easily put 22s on your cutty without a lift, if u wanted 2 u can put 24s on witout a lift as well but is about the tire size and u may need adapters for the back.

And im with Qdub24 just because we tend to put rims on the car doesnt mean we dont know what we're doing with the car or just want to chop it up sometimes it looks good as long as its tastefully done.

Now i would never in my life lift my car up 15 inches and put some 28s on it cuz thats not my style. So if u was 2 see some1 do that then ill say ok now u have room 2 talk about some1 and there car but as long as its tastefull i dont see the problem.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub24 said:

For myself since the roads I drive on have curves and corners and are longer than 1/4 mile. I am more interested in making the car quick along with improved handling. With 22" wheels you're raising the center of gravity which makes the geometry of the car worse than it is stock. Also with those large wheels the rolling mass is much heavier than stock thus diminishing the braking capabilities of the car...and on a personal note I think 22" wheels on a G body looks ridiculous and in my opinion real slow when it comes to rotating around a curve

Aug 25, 2009
MIAMI-DADE-COUNTY
lift it up dont listen to these haterz....all you need is air shocks for the back and 2 knuckles in your front springs... hub adaptors all around and u ridin clen and clearing turns all day,, i got 4's on mine and didnt have to lift it much

2im9z03.jpg

IMG00202.jpg

supreme_eighty5

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Upstate, NY
I STILL G0T DAT said:
lift it up dont listen to these haterz....all you need is air shocks for the back and 2 knuckles in your front springs... hub adaptors all around and u ridin clen and clearing turns all day,, i got 4's on mine and didnt have to lift it much

i dont see any hating going on in this thread, just a good amount of information being passed on :roll:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Why would anybody be hateing on you? You could probably sawzall out the inner fenders and stuff those 28s under their without raising the body or bolt a giant plastic spoiler on your trunk to but it would not be a functional improvement and as such somebody would probably let you know and may tell you they don't think it looks right either. It does not mean they are hateing on you or jealous either. The thing we can do is appreciate the work people put into these cars to make them .. special. I know the economy car builders generally think me puting in a hugh 8.3 liter engine in my car is crazy. Its just different thinking. They think take something economical to drive add lots of money and parts and make it well generally at least not so dang slow. I think its not my primary driver so lets take something easily fast add lots of power for cheap and make it well generally at least not so bad on fuel that I can afford to enjoy it.

1984CuttySupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2010
Altamonte Springs, FL
I went with air shocks in the rear and the twist in knuckles in the front but I still had to trim the front fenders. They kept catching on the bottom tip when I would turn. I regret cutting the fender at all, it wasn't done properly so it looks like sh*t. I'm looking for new fenders at the moment. I had 245/30/22 on a set of wire wheels and I only had to trim a little bit. Then I switched to these wider 22s with 285/25/22 because the wire wheels were leaking. But they were catching worse so the rim shop attempted to trim more and that's when it got bad. So I went back to a thinner set of 22s with 255/30/22 and it rides way better.

So I would recommend getting a real lift done. With air shocks n all that it's gonna stiffen the ride a lot. Once I get the money I'm gonna do it right.

83cutlass

n00b
May 6, 2010
man you need is s10 3 1/2 inch lift spindles in the front and some lift cups that go under your springs inthe rear with extended shocks for the rear thats all you need for 22s it will ride like stock dont go with a bigger tire then 275/35/22 let me know how it work out for you

Attachments

• 20150126_193422_resized.jpg
    20150126_193422_resized.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 20150126_193502_resized.jpg
    20150126_193502_resized.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 478
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor