Can I remove my ODB1? (not a legal question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Only if you don't know how to set up a carb/distributor system. If you are not fluent in carb jetting and advance curves then you probably should leave it alone. That said, my plan is to look up the specs from the most similar engine from the last year before the CCC took over. That way you are at least in the ball park. Then you can fine-tune to what you want. But again, if you don't know how to do that you may end up with a crappy running engine.
Thanks for the feedback for consideration. I actually don't know anything about anything. I just don't want a computer in my car, I'd like it mechanical. But my mechanic should know all this, and he's a really good mechanic. I can also buy a turn key engine which I might consider.

Thanks

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Planning a crate motor. The Chevy Performance 350/330 looks like a good option but actually leaning toward the 350/290. 300hp is way more than the car has now and I like the thought of using regular pump gas. This will be a daily driver, not a track or street car. I mean daily for work, fishing, grocery's, beer runs, etc. 300hp on the street is plenty of power. I have a dodge with a Hemi and the high price of premium gas is a pain. Fun car though. Another plus with the 350/290 is I won't have to pay for expensive performance parts. Mostly standard parts with a few upgrades and I'm good.
FWIW: that '290 hp' rating may not wind up to be what you're expecting once it's in the car. In fact, if you read into how they rate those motors its highly doubtful you'll be running the same setup and you won't be getting 290hp at the crank let alone the rear wheels. Plenty of people wind up disappointed once they get something into the car, just thought I'd point out you ought to look into it.

Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
FWIW: that '290 hp' rating may not wind up to be what you're expecting once it's in the car. In fact, if you read into how they rate those motors its highly doubtful you'll be running the same setup and you won't be getting 290hp at the crank let alone the rear wheels. Plenty of people wind up disappointed once they get something into the car, just thought I'd point out you ought to look into it.
Yeh I actually heard the same thing. I'm on the fence for that reason. Plan is to decide in the spring and get it done in the summer, so I have some time to make some decisions.
But either way, I don't want the OBD system in the car.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I actually don't know anything about anything.
In that case I hope your mechanic is as old as I am. That is because most young guys don't even know what a carb or distributor are. Of course they may know about fuel injection and that may be better than a carburetor anyway. Just more money and work. But an HEI non CCC distributor can be had pretty easilly and is usually set up for average usage.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks for the feedback for consideration. I actually don't know anything about anything. I just don't want a computer in my car, I'd like it mechanical. But my mechanic should know all this, and he's a really good mechanic. I can also buy a turn key engine which I might consider.

Thanks
If you have the cash buy the turn key version. I bought the 350/330 for my wagon. Came with everything from carb to pan. I also went with the serpentine setup.

IMG_0857.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Keep the CCC, its a very good and easy to work on system. Just have the carb rebuilt to hot 350 specs and get a 87 or 88 ECM and a ZZ4 PROM chip. Upgrade the 1 wire O2 sensor to a 3 wire heated O2 sensor. To delete the CCC would require changing thr carb, dist, adding and a lockup kit. The result for spending $500 on parts for a CCC delete would only be a loss of MPG, there are better ways to spend that money.

Two things to watch out for are vacuum leaks and high fuel pressure. Most replacement mechanical fuel pumps nowadays have too much fuel pressure.

Those 290 HP crate 350s have the same specs as 70's smogger van engines. Probably be lucky to make 200 hp. I would get a crate with at least a roller cam, 1 piece rear seal, 9.5 CR, and Vortec heads.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I pulled all the computer stuff out when I swapped to a V8. I run a regular q jet, non computer controlled carb, and an older trans. Hopefully later this winter I’ll be swapping my engine too.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
In that case I hope your mechanic is as old as I am. That is because most young guys don't even know what a carb or distributor are. Of course they may know about fuel injection and that may be better than a carburetor anyway. Just more money and work. But an HEI non CCC distributor can be had pretty easilly and is usually set up for average usage.
One of the young guys from work came over. He walked into the garage, looked at the row of carbs on the wall and asked "Are those carburetors?"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor